hello all,

i've been wanting to upgrade the receiver in the skyzone SJ-V01 almost from the minute i got them. i am a fan of wide screen views, i was never good at using the Fat shark goggles. The SJ-V01 goggles are similar to the Head play goggles in size and shape, maybe even monitor. the thing that head plays lacked was a true diversity receiver. the SJ-V01 already had a diversity receiver and it worked very well. but with all the new improvements in receivers these days, and having had these SJ-V01 goggles for so long, i started to make the transition over to the Furious FPV receiver. I didnt think it would be too difficult to do, until i looked at the wiring. not sure why the engineers at skyzone felt using all the same color wire was  helpful or maybe a deterrent of some form from people snooping on how they were constructed, but this is my dilemma.

When searching the interwebs, trying to see if any one had made this upgrade, i didnt find much help. really the only information about these goggles was how to add a DVR to them. i did do that and will seek to repeat that installation of a DVR after the Furious FPV True D goggles are up and running. i am pretty sure i know where all those wires are. I found this forum and read a post by @Mr.RC-Cam  titled HeadPlay HD Goggle Upgrade: Add 5.8GHz Diversity & DVR, link here: 

In that post, it was very well explained how to accomplish this with the Headplay goggles. it shed some light on my task, but not enough. i've already taken apart the Skyzones, so there is really no going back. hopefully the pictures that follow will be clear enough to help figur this all out. there are No pinouts that i know of, Skyzone wouldnt release their schematics, so we're all poking around in the dark here. get out your pitch forks and torches, we're going monster hunting!!

This first picture is pretty close to the Headplay Power in connections. this is the pinout i picked up on the web to install the DVR. the only thing i will use here is the power in which are pins 3 & 4.

576961DSCF1467.jpg

20180101_141725.jpg

the Next two pictures are the diversity receiver. a five pin connector is used to bring in power to the receiver but also to provide video/audio out as indicated by the pinout photo.

20180101_095829.jpg

Edited by TheMightyThor
add pictures

i dont believe any other set of wires are relevant to this build. the other wires you see are white and clue, which would correspond to the button controls and on screen menus

20180101_095918.jpg

this is a picture of the circuit board on the monitor. the monitor is a CHIMEI INNOLUX HJ070IA-02F with a driver on it, i believe it is set to use 9v for the monitor. i have previously connected a 2 cell battery, fully charged to 8.4 volts and the monitor would come on but only show some test pattern

test-colors.jpg

Edited by TheMightyThor
spelling

I have gotten the Furious FPV to come on by using a PDB board and connecting to the 5v out put. i have had the monitor come on, but i need to track down the video signal wire, which i have yet to find. i believe the power wires are wires 1 & 5 as you look left to right on the connector. i do not know how to determine if the video Signal outputs voltage? if it does i suspect it would be no more than 1.1v

I do not know what receiver board this is either, couldnt find anything on the internet for it, if you know and know of a pin out for it, that'd be very helpful

if you need any more pictures or have any other questions, please dont hesitate to reply to this post.

thanks

Thor

Edited by TheMightyThor

For the record, I have never touched a SJ-V01. All my comments are based on your info and posted images. Plus I watched a SJ-V01 YouTube review to check out its features.

From what I can see in the photos the SJ-V01's vRx board is also the LCD's video processor. The goggles can't operate if the stock vRx board is removed. So it stays, even if you don't use its receivers.

A composite video signal to the LCD panel is not going to be available on a connector or other easily identified location. However the 5P DIN connector to the vRx board has A/V In-Out signals on it. That means that you can use the DIN's wires with your new Furious FPV vRx.

Before you begin the modifications you need to set the LCD menu to enable external A/V "Input." That's because you should avoid the A/V "Output" mode setting after the new vRx is connected.

The mod is simple. Wire the 5V VReg as usual to power the Furious vRx. Connect the new vRx's Audio/Video signals to the DIN. That's about it.

But there will be a slight inconvenience if you intend to add the DVR. With this proposed solution the DIN will no longer be available to provide Video Out to your DVR. You'll need a separate buffered video signal for it. This was one of the things that was handled by the circuitry I used in my HeadPlay mod.

1 hour ago, Mr.RC-Cam said:

For the record, I have never touched a SJ-V01. All my comments are based on your info and posted images. Plus I watched a SJ-V01 YouTube review to check out its features.

From what I can see in the photos the SJ-V01's vRx board is also the LCD's video processor. The goggles can't operate if the stock vRx board is removed. So it stays, even if you don't use its receivers.

A composite video signal to the LCD panel is not going to be available on a connector or other easily identified location. However the 5P DIN connector to the vRx board has A/V In-Out signals on it. That means that you can use the DIN's wires with your new Furious FPV vRx.

Before you begin the modifications you need to set the LCD menu to enable external A/V "Input." That's because you should avoid the A/V "Output" mode setting after the new vRx is connected.

The mod is simple. Wire the 5V VReg as usual to power the Furious vRx. Connect the new vRx's Audio/Video signals to the DIN. That's about it.

But there will be a slight inconvenience if you intend to add the DVR. With this proposed solution the DIN will no longer be available to provide Video Out to your DVR. You'll need a separate buffered video signal for it. This was one of the things that was handled by the circuitry I used in my HeadPlay mod.

So i should get one of the boards that @luckyflyer makes for DVR? thanks for all your great advice. i was hoping to do with out the old board but i will have to figure out another way.

thanks for taking the time to write a response!!

I don't have experience with luckyflyer's board but I understand it is a copy of my HeadPlay buffer circuit. Best to re-confirm with him on that.

The video buffer used in my HeadPlay Goggle upgrade will allow you to add the DVR without affecting the LCD's video performance. Connect the buffer board's VP1-1 "Video-Best" signal to the Furious vRx's Video Out. Connect the buffer board's LCD1-1 "Video" signal to the goggle's DIN video in. Power and DVR connections are indicated on the schematic found in the HeadPlay HD Upgrade disussion.

BTW, I suggest you first install the new Furious vRx and confirm everything is working before moving on to the buffer board/DVR's integration.

23 minutes ago, Mr.RC-Cam said:

I don't have experience with luckyflyer's board but I understand it is a copy of my HeadPlay buffer circuit. Best to re-confirm with him on that.

The video buffer used in my HeadPlay Goggle upgrade will allow you to add the DVR without affecting the LCD's video performance. Connect the buffer board's VP1-1 "Video-Best" signal to the Furious vRx's Video Out. Connect the buffer board's LCD1-1 "Video" signal to the goggle's DIN video in. Power and DVR connections are indicated on the schematic found in the HeadPlay HD Upgrade disussion.

BTW, I suggest you first install the new Furious vRx and confirm everything is working before moving on to the buffer board/DVR's integration.

Well this project may have become easier as i have blown up my SJ-V01 receiver board. thought i had the wring exact and POOF. luckily, bang Good was having a promo sale on headPlay SE packages, $156.00. I opted to buy a set of them, got the secondary wire harness from Range video, so i will attempt to do add the Furious FPV module to that using the harness. I talked to Range video Support, they suggest spliting the video in signal one tot he monitor, the other to the DVR. your Thoughts?

Edited by TheMightyThor
spelling

I talked to Range video Support, they suggest spliting the video in signal one tot he monitor, the other to the DVR. your Thoughts?

Oh my. A simple shared video "Tee" connection will create what is called a double-terminated video signal. This often works because a monitor's AGC will band-aid the problem.  But this is lipstick on a pig.

Doing it will downgrade the video quality and increase the likelihood of video stability problems during weak FPV signal events. All of this is why you need a separate buffered video signal if you want to attach another video device to a vRx.

My Thoughts? If you want the best possible video then do it right. Use a dedicated/buffered video output to the DVR.

25 minutes ago, Mr.RC-Cam said:

Oh my. A simple shared video "Tee" connection will create what is called a double-terminated video signal. This often works because a monitor's AGC will band-aid the problem.  But this is lipstick on a pig.

Doing it will downgrade the video quality and increase the likelihood of video stability problems during weak FPV signal events. All of this is why you need a separate buffered video signal if you want to attach another video device to a vRx.

My Thoughts? If you want the best possible video then do it right. Use a dedicated/buffered video output to the DVR.

Ok thanks I will review your thread again and follow those instructions. thanks for responding again!!