Well, strange problem....

I have a Panasonic KX-121 CCD camera (from BWAV), and it happens to have what looks like a gain setting that is too high for brightness auto-adjustment. The video always changes brightness, with amplitude and frequency changing with the ligjting conditions.

Hmm, a video describes it better:

Have a look here (3.2Mb DivX).

Has anyone had the same problem, or have an idea?

It's REALLY annoying when watching the video, and even more as apart from that the quality is excellent...

Thanks,

Kilrah

Thats very odd ! I dont have a clue, dose it do it on the ground or only when flying ?

Terry

Hi Kilrah,

Just saw this thread....

That is a very odd effect. It looks like the camera is getting confused at one point.

I have not noticed this with the NTSC version.

Did you try a different installation without that bright white nose in view? It shouldn't matter, but never say never.

Bill

OK sorry ;)

It's the same on the ground. I have a video where I just have the glider in my hand and it's the same. I seem to have noticed that the high amplitude blink is more likely to happen after the cam has been pointed to the sun.

In fact on the first flight I had installed it on a plane, and it was the same. At that time I had thought that it was due to the prop being in the field. But it doesn't seem to be the reason anymore after that.

Could you maybe give it a try with another PAL one if you have one in stock? I bet it's just mine that is odd... I've never seen this although I've tested many different CCDs...

Good idea, I'll break out one of my KX121 PAL cameras and try it out. Good thing the Eyetops are autoswitching :)

Seems to silly to ask but my CX161 had the same: is the voltage at which the camera operates stable enough and exactly 5 volts? Slightly less and the picture darkens out on mine.....

Delcam, the Netherlands

Well, it's directly powered from a 4-cell NiMH 600mAh pack. So exactly 5V no, stable yes (at short term at least). If it was a power unstability I don't think the oscillation freq would change so much according to the light.

I'll try to power it from a 5V reg, but at the moment my friend has taken it as he went on holiday by the sea B)

I hope he will bring us nice videos, and if possible without blinking.. ;)