Mr.RC-Cam

Anatomy of a Cheap Hong Kong Wireless Camera

Hello!

What weighs a small but cheap video- cam? I think about to build one into a small indoor- flyer and need to know with how much necessary payload I have to calculate.

Niquan

If you removed the plastic case and used smaller gauge wire for the antenna, the one I describe here would probably be under 1/2 ounce (not including battery).

Hi! I was wondering are 1.2 GHz cameras and receivers legal or illegal. Please reply back. Thanks!!!

GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It depends on which country you live in. In the USA, those eBay type "1.2Ghz" systems are often using frequencies reserved for Aircraft Navigation. So, they are illegal. Please keep in mind that even the "legal" offerings require a amateur radio (ham) license to use legally.

Just ask the seller for the Tx's exact operating freq and then consult your ham license status to see if you are allowed to operate it.

HI! im sorry to ask you more questions about this, but are the 1215 MHz and the 1.24GHz range legal? also are we still required to get a ham radio license even if the camrea is under 1000 feet range? and if we were to use a camera system that was considered to be in an illegal frequency range, would the FCC literaly pick up our signal from miles away and come and investigate even if the camera's range was 1000 feet or less or is it just considered to be an "illegal" thing? well thanks so much!!!

GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a quick technical question -- can you run a wire over a long distance from the camera's antenna to the receivers antenna - thus making it a 'wired camera' ? Will it work?

Will it work?

It would be abusive to the Tx's RF amp. Especially to these minimally designed Hong Kong products.

Some Tx's may work, some might not oscillate correctly, and some would simply go poof. There is really no telling for sure. I do not recommend it, but if you need to know then you will have to try it out.

any comments on adding audio to this system? does the tx have a spare solder pad for the audio version? ( the rx looks the same minus the extra jack ) just wondering if the components are the same for audio and non audio versions ( enough that i can hack in a mic)

James

On the unit shown on the RC-CAM site, there are no provisions to hack in audio. There aren't any spare PCB pads or pre-installed components that would allow this sort of upgrade.

You have to consider that these cheap "1.2Ghz" Hong Kong systems do not readily fit the popular American design methods where one basic board is used across several products. Over there, where labor is cheap and profits are measured by low material costs, any spare part, no matter how trivial, is eliminated.

have taken apart system - your right no option for audio on tx, however the rx is different looks like a lot of unused pins - perhaps RSSI + audio outputs? ( its a small module just soldered to the external connectors... ) wonder how to get pinouts ?

James

It would be abusive to the Tx's RF amp. Especially to these minimally designed Hong Kong products.

Some Tx's may work, some might not oscillate correctly, and some would simply go poof. There is really no telling for sure. I do not recommend it, but if you need to know then you will have to try it out.

How about if you just bypass the tx altogether?

Terminate the red and black, and solder an rca to the yellow video out.

or is that what you meant already?

post-5-1089110511_thumb.jpg

Discarding the Tx and Rx and connecting just the video with 75 ohm cable would work fine for reasonable distances.