PJS

Altitude sensor recommendations

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations for an altitude sensor for a PIC project I'm working on. Ive seen the Motorola MPX one, and the MS5534, which is better but more expensive. The only problem is that I cannot find a supplier in the UK. Does anyone know of a suitable alternative component or where I might be able to purchase these sensors to be shipped to the UK at reasonable cost?

Thanks.

I have not used it, but the MS5534 looks like a winner. Like you, I found that it seems to be impossible to buy. The USA distributor has never returned my emails (and that might hint that they do not care to sell to hobbyists). The mfg is in France -- can't you just jog across the channel and pick one up? ;)

Comparibly speaking, the popular Motorola MPX series are easy to buy. I got some from Digi-Key a couple years ago. They will ship worldwide.

Yes I made a glider telemetry kit for a friend a few weeks ago, where they used 2 of these sensors. One for altitude and one for airspeed.

Hehe, that's funny, the factory happens to be in Switzerland, and 25km from my home.

They seem to be selling samples, but the price is quite high (around $30/pc for a calibrated MS5534.

http://www.intersema.ch/site/samples.pdf

yes, after I contacted them they were willing to ship samples, however the higher price, 30 for shipping and the bank fees (payment only in sf by bank wire) means it's just to awkward. I've managed to order a couple mpx sensors from farnell.