Cyb

Camman problem(?)

Hi,

I'm succesfully using the cam-man switch on my aiptek 1.3 camera, however I seem to have some problems : When I'm at full throttle (after about 30 seconds) the motor stops as if it was out of battery. It is possible it is due to current draw of the camera? If so , what are the solutions? I'm using a Twinstar with 2400 mah Nicd batteries.

The description you give is common to situations where the model is prop'd too strongly and is drawing too much current for the chosen cells (NiMH are especially prone to this). It may have nothing to do with the camera's current draw, but let's see:

Do the other channels still work when throttle is lost?

If you remove the Camera and try again, how long do the cells last before throttle is cut?

How many amps are you pulling at full throttle?

What ESC/BEC are you using? What is the low voltage detect set at?

What NiMH batteries (brand/part number) are you using? How many Cells?

Are the cells REALLY hot at the end of the flight?

Do the other channels still work when throttle is lost?

Well , I don't really know, I'll test this as soon as possible.

If you remove the Camera and try again, how long do the cells last before throttle is cut?

If I remove the camera, everything works perfectly, no cuts off (except at the end of the pack).

How many amps are you pulling at full throttle?

About 22A

What ESC/BEC are you using? What is the low voltage detect set at?

It is the Protech PRO 50 MPC, low voltage sets at 5,5 volts.

What NiMH batteries (brand/part number) are you using? How many Cells?

I'm using Sanyo NiCD 7 cells

Yes, really hot, more than without the camera.

You might want to review the cell's specs to see if they are rated for the 22A draw. What Sanyo part number are you using?

The camera only draws 130mA when powered from the Rx. It's average load is similar to one servo.

Just for grins, you might want to try slightly less aggressive props (reduce motor current) and see if the setup lasts longer on the bench. If it does, then you will need to reduce the current draw, use different cells, or select new props.

This seems weird... Did you check the current draw of the cam? It could be defective, but something would then have to get hot....

Yes, really hot, more than without the camera.

That's what surprises me most...

All you need to do is measure the current being drawn by CamMan and the camera when powered by the Rx. Then report what you find. It should be under 150mA @ 5V.

Do the other servo's operate correctly before and after the throttle shuts off? That will tell us if the BEC is overloaded.

It is higher than I measured (Aiptek Mini PenCam 1.3), but 180mA is not a threat. That should be considered a BEC load of 1 to 1.5 servos.

BTW, I am assuming that you measured that with a BEC provided power source that was 5.0VDC.

That should be considered a BEC load of 1 to 1.5 servos.

I even disconnected the rudder servo, and the same problem occurs...

To make a final recommendation I need info to each of these questions:

1) Do all the servos still work before and after the problem occurs?

2) What channel does the camera connect to? Is it sharing the throttle channel?

3) Does the problem persist if the camera is moved to another servo channel or one that is unused?

4) With the camera connected, what is the e-flight pack's battery voltage the moment before the throttle quits?

5) If you only use minimum throttle does the problem take longer to occur?

6) If the throttle quits and you leave everything untouched, but unplug ONLY the camera, does throttle control return?

7) Once the throttle quits, does a simple on/off power cycle restore it?

I tried another receiver yesterday and everything is ok now... It was a mpx pico 5/6, then I changed to a Protech one.