Sign in to follow this  
Flutter

Need help with 5 to 12 volt converter

I tried to replace my 18volt setup (being converted to 12 volt) with TMR 0512 from Traco that converts 5-9vdc to 12vdc. It should be able to deliver up to 167mA. I can't get it to deliver enough power. Measuring on an open connector gives me 7.5v when everything is running. On the original setup I measure 9.5v when running. Measuring the current gives me far below 10mA on the 18v setup, but far higher (120mA) on the 5v setup (because of low voltage....?). I tried using a 9v battery instead, but the result was the same, no picture and 7,5vdc on the open connector.

When not under load the converter gives me 12vdc perfect.

I did connect the output gnd to -v out, not the gnd where the input gnd is connected.

Any suggestions, similar experience?

What are you using to supply the 0512 ? Can it deliver the current needed ? What current do you need from the 0512 ? Have you tried connecting caps across the input pins and across the output pins ?

Can you post a diagram of the circuit you have made..

Terry

I have simply connected the accu to pin 1 (gnd) and pin 2 (+Vin) and use pin 6 (+Vout) and pin 7 (-Vout) for 12V output to the cam. I have tried two accus. The first one is a 4.8V NiMH 1500mAh pack and the other a regular 9.0V battery from Duracell. None worked.

I wonder, can I use a 9.6V pack even if the max input is specified to 9.0V? I have two fast charge/recharge accus which can deliver far more than the two I have tried.

Measuring on an open connector gives me 7.5v when everything is running

But you also say

When not under load the converter gives me 12vdc perfect.

Which is the case ?

What current dose your camera set up need from this converter ?

Terry

Sorry for being unclear. When the connector is not connected to the system (not under load) I get 12VDC. When connected the voltage drops to 7.5VDC.

Using my original setup with 18VDC to 12VDC converter(which works ) I measure a current of about 30mA and a voltage drop ,when under load, to 9.5VDC.

Hope this clears up abit.

What are you trying to power?

Are you sure the total required current or your load, including starup currents, is well under the 167mA max spec? Startup currents can be a nusance.

What Vreg output voltage do you read when you install a 75 ohm 2W fixed resistor as a test load?