Dave Jones

Dave Mathewson candidate for AMA president

Guys the following is a quote from the campaign site of Dave Mathewson, candidate for AMA president I believe that it pretty much covers Mr. Mathewson views on the advancements in model aircraft technology.

Please support Mr. Mathewson camaign and vote for him. for AMA preaident.

For more infomation on Mr. Mathewson please go to http://www.mathewson4pres.com

Thanks

Dave Jones

AUAV.net

Advancements in technology have taken model aviation to new levels. It’s not realistic to expect every member of the Executive Council to be an expert in every discipline. Yet we are still charged with creating guidelines under which our members fly, a difficult task at best. To address this problem we need to include those who participate in a discipline in setting guidelines for that discipline. Seeking the input of our Special Interest Groups is a good first step. Part of AMA’s mission is a commitment to scientific/technical development. We need to allow our members the latitude to experiment, to try new things, and not stifle their creative efforts. We need to embrace new technologies and encourage those that offer these new technologies to help find a way to safely incorporate them into model aviation. We need to do this without creating an underlying risk to our members’ ability to enjoy model aviation. At times this won’t be easy, but an effort needs to be made and solutions need to be found.

Guys

I just received my 2004 AMA Election Ballot in the mail and I have cast my vote for Mr. Dave Mathewson for AMA President.

If you are currently involved with or are interested in Autonomous and or video video enhanced flight or just feel that the advancements of technology in model aviation should not be stifled then please cast your vote for Mr. Mathewson, he has promised to work with us to get the AMA safety code changed to allow for the advancements of technology in model aviation.

We all know where we now stand with Mr. Brown so the only way that we will ever get the AMA safety code changed is to start by changing the AMA's administration so please cast your vote for Mr. Mathewson for AMA President.

This is your voice and is the only way that you have of speaking out and letting the AMA know how you feel.

Thanks

Dave Jones

AUAV

Guys

The AMA election is coming down to the wire and we need to keep the momentum going if you would like to continue your work with UAVs and video enhanced flight then you need to get your vote in for Mr. Dave Mathewson if you have not cast your vote for the office of AMA president then please do it now.

Please pass this on to all of your modeling friends and your club members regardless if they are involved in autonomous or video enhanced flight or not, they make up the vast majority of our membership please ask them to visit Mr.Mathewson web site at www.mathewson4pres.com. and if they do not have a a computer then please ask them to vote for him in this very important election. Ask them to past this on to all of there modeling friends. It's very important that we reach as many members who have not yet exercised their right to vote. It's very important to point out in your email that the ballots need to be postmarked by no later then next Friday, November 12, 2004 and will only count if they're mailed to the address on the front of the ballot no postage required. You do not have to renew your AMA member to vote in this 2004 election. Please get those ballets in the Mail now. One last thing if we have to 4 more years of Dave Brown you could very well see your work with autonomous and video enhanced flight come to a screeching halt, even if you are not flying at an AMA site so please get those ballets in and vote for Dave Mathewson.

Dave Jones

It sounds like Dave Brown is going to be a president for another term. Too bad.

Can any tell me how long a term is? Some of guys at my field say 2 years and some say 4 years.

I don't know if I can take 4 more years of the outstanding leadership of Mr. Brown.

I took the liberty to rewrite the AMA's Vision and Mission statements as I see them under the iron fist of Brown.

dave Jones

AUAV.net

"What can Brown do for you?"

AMA Vision

We, the members of the Academy of Model Aeronautics, along with Dave Brown are the pathway to the decline of airomodeling and should be committed to the funny farm for reelecting Mr. Brown to the office of president of the AMA. There by destroying any possibility of making advancements to the sport/hobby of model aviation.

This vision is accomplished through:

* Partnerships with it's valued associates: All of the Chinese

manufactures producing there cheep ass junk and importing it into

the U.S. there by killing the U.S. modeling industry and forcing

us all to buy there cheep ass crud, and by giving in to the U.S.

government to stifle any thing that some politician, out to make a

name for him or herself thinks is a danger to the world.

* And by a process of the continuous stagnation and degeneration

that we have seen for the last 12 years.

* A commitment to the lack of leadership, lack of quality, lack of

education and to the elimination scientific/technical developments.

* A safe, enjoyable modeling environment if you can find a flying

field and keep it after you find it because you are on you own

there, all that we really want is your dues each year.

=========================================

AMA Mission

The Academy of Model Aeronautics is a world-class association of crusty old fart modelers organized for the purpose of not promoting the development modeling activities, education or scientific/technical advancements in the sport/hobby of model aviation, other than what Dave Brown feels should be promoted and or allowed.

The Academy of Model Aeronautics dose not provide leadership, organization, fare competition, open communication, equal protection, and only provides representation and recognition to those that Mr. Brown likes, and is out to stifle education, scientific and technical development in the advancements of airomodeling.

I've already seen bad fallout from the AMA administration. My friend who flies autonomous helicopter for MIT at AMA field got a letter from AMA safety officer (forgot what's his name is). The letter says that AMA prohibits MIT from flying their autonomous helicopter at the field.

MIT always flies line of sight and always with a pilot that is ready to take over in case something goes wrong. So I thought that MIT can appeal to the new safety code amendment. But this AMA dude was very nasty - he basically said "no way".

Now I wonder if AMA can actually prohibit someone from flying - I thought they can only deny the insurance coverage. This club field is on rent from state, so it is public land. I don't think MIT wants to get into legal conflict with the club over this issue but I thought that they have legal right to fly there, even if AMA says no.

Any thoughts?

I find myself in a similar situation at my AMA field - bunch of old guys just looking for excuse to kick me out for AMA rules violation. I probably will cancel my AMA membership and try to find private field to fly.

Edited by cyber-flyer

Cyber-flyer

Dave Mathewson and I have been over this by email. He feels that the AMA needs to pull there heads out of the sand and wake up to the fact that we are here and that we are flying autonomous and video enhanced models.

Dave and I agree that it would be much better for the AMA and all involved if the AMA would allow us to conduct our work with autonomous and video enhanced models under an AMA SIG, and to allow us to compile our own set of safety guidelines.

He agrees that we are the ones should write the guidelines after all we are the ones that know more about what we are doing than some one that has never been involved with autonomous and video enhanced models or some one that was involved with RPV's 20+ years ago and is not up on today's technology.

I tried to have a discussion about UAV's with an AMA member that is a past RPV pilot, I tried explaining to him some of the new technologies that we are using that he could never have conceived of 20 years ago.

He gave me the old "I was doing this long before you was borne and I know what I am talking about and you don't and that's all that there is to it" speech.

Mr. Mathewson is well aware that we are flying autonomous and video enhanced models now and that we are not going to go away, he understands that it's going to continue with or with out the support of the AMA.

I believe all that the AMA has accomplished with there heads in the sand attitude is to drive of us away from the AMA .

A lot of guys are saying the same thing that you just said that they will cancel there AMA membership and find a private field to fly from.

Dave understands that there are guys all over the country that are flying autonomous and video enhanced models that are not AMA members and most likely never will be, due to the AMA restrictions.

I would like to see this changed.

Dave Jones

AUAV.net