jtprouty

PIC Questions

Hi All,

I'm taking the plunge and learning how to write to PICs. I'm using ICProg 1.05c and a PIC-PG2C programmer but don't have any experience with either. I have a couple of questions concerning PICs in general:

How many times can you write to a PIC? (I'm using a 12C508a for the navlight system to be used on my Christen Husky).

Does anyone have experience with ICProg? I'm not sure that I'm even writing to the PIC and don't know how to verify if what I sent was written or not.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Jim

I don't know much about programming pics. I have also just started myself a couple of days ago with the same IC software.

I know the 12C508a can only be programmed once.

After you have programmed the pic you should be able to go into the program and select Command / Read All and it should read whats on the Pic.

Did you also install the driver file for Windows and activate them(settings /option/misc/enable drivers)?

Is your computer talking to your programmer?

With the programmer switched on you should be able to go to settings/Harware check and then tick enable Data out. If Data in also enables at the same time then you pc is taking to your programmer. If it dosn't enable the Data in box when you select the Data out that means that your PC is not communicating.

Hope this helps.

I'm no expert

While on the topic does anyone else know what the CP tick box is for under the fuses section. I trying to program the same chip for the CamMan-Sony DSC-U20 project. Does the box have to be enabled or disabled.

Also when I read the chip after I burnt it there dosn't seem To be as much Information on the chip as what was on the original HEX file.

Crash1

Does the box have to be enabled or disabled.

CP is the memory protect fuse. Enabled it.

Also when I read the chip after I burnt it there dosn't seem To be as much Information on the chip as what was on the original HEX file.

You cannot successfuly read a PIC that has the Memory Protection enabled. This is covered in the FAQ: http://www.rc-cam.com/faq.htm#pic_fail

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the information. I was able to write to the 12c508a on Saturday evening and now have a working navlight system for my Husky! Thanks Mr. Rc-cam!

I wasn't sure if the programmer was working at all because there is a red LED on it but it never comes on. I don't have much in documentation on it because it's an e-bay item but for $12 I can't complain. Turns out that it's working fine. I was really happy when I put it in and the strobe light came on and started winking at me!

Looking forward to doing more PIC projects and learning to develop my own circuits. Really wanting to try some servo control projects later in the year.

Thanks again,

Jim