jtprouty

R/C controlled relay switch?

Hi All,

In continuing to learn about PICs and R/C circuits I'd like to try and make a switch that lets me turn a 9V or 12V camera on and off. That means that I have to control a separate power supply for the camera and I'd like to keep it solid state if possible. Does anyone know if there is information on how to control a relay or other method of control via a PIC on the net?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Jim, how much voltage and amperage do you want to switch on and off?? I could whip up a quick circuit board and relay. The power for chip and the relay would come from the r/c receiver along with the toggle signal from gear channel.

Matt Klarich

Thanks Matt,

Initially I'd like to use this for turning on and off a set of RAM landing lights that run off of a 9V alkaline battery (my son wants it to go with his RC-CAM nav light set on his plane that we're currently building). Later I'll be using it to switch power on and off on a 12V camera with a max draw of about 300 MaH.

On a side note, the nav light project has really caught my son's interest in electronics (he's 10 and very curious.) He watched me hook everything up on the proto board and then program the PIC and his face really lit up when everything worked. (No pun intended!) ;) It's been fun learning how to do this with him and explaining how evertything works. The best part is that he's learning about electronics and doesn't even know it!

Thanks again,

Jim

Edited by jtprouty

Take a look at the PanCam schematics. Page 6 shows an accessory switch, with two ways to control the load (solid state or electromechanical relay). The solid state relay version looks like a perfect fit for you and only requires an 8-pin PIC, resistor, cap, and opto-relay.

http://www.rc-cam.com/pancam.htm

Ten years old is the perfect age for electronics projects. That is about how old I was when I started some clumsy attempts at soldering some transistors. Got that part covered pretty good now. ;)

Be careful with your son, I was the same at his age and now I'm on the way to become an electronics engineer ;)

Thanks again for all of the help. The switches in the PanCam section look like what I need. Will order the parts from Mouser today.

BTW - Getting my son an electronic experimenter's kit from radio snack for his birthday this month. Soon we'll both be burning up PICs! :)

Jim

go to your local Hobby Lobby and get him all those little electronic experiment kits you can afford. Those things are great for teaching basic theory.