Sign in to follow this  
troller

Any Package Deals out there?

I am looking for a package deal, complete with video reciever, transmitter and batteries if needed and whatever else I need to get video from my flying RC Airplane. I just want to fly and video tape the experience from the planes view.

No Big Deal eh?

Well, with everyone wanting one, why are there not any manufacturers already making a RC CAM? Everyone here seems to be a project man, tinckering with this and that, there has got to be a ready to use system out there compatible with the RC market. If not, hello people interested in making their own business.... get on the bandwagon.

Real fustrating hearing that this video camera and transmitter go together and then finding out that you have to make all kinds of mods to it because of either poor video quality, not enough distance or just plain does not work because of interference.

So I ask, does anyone know of a good video package that will allow me to buy it, place it into my airplane, and be able to video tape what I am seeing without any distortion or wierd lines showing up due to the electric motor running etc.... AND I am doing this without having to do any mod to it?

Check out Parkzone.com and their little ingenius idea. They make Ready to Fly airplanes and they come complete with everything except the flyer. Now there's a great idea. Bought one myself. And now I am flying without a years worth of building or tinckering with what size motor with what size batteries needed and all that jazz.

Please list where you got it along with the price and any details of problems/successes etc. Perhaps we can make this the definitive list of ready to use wireless video cams.

Edited by troller

Well, with everyone wanting one, why are there not any manufacturers already making a RC CAM? Everyone here seems to be a project man, tinckering with this and that, there has got to be a ready to use system out there compatible with the RC market. If not, hello people interested in making their own business.... get on the bandwagon.

This must be because most of the folks here are technically-minded people, who get as much fun in thinking, designing, assembling and trying their solutions as in simply using them after having found a good combination (or even more, am I right? :P ).

Of course there are ready-to-put-in-your-plane-and-fly systems around there for the lambda user, that have been tested and are known working, and even for all kinds of budgets... Generally they are based on the same hardware that is used there, but simply arranged to be "Plug'n Play"...

Well, with everyone wanting one, why are there not any manufacturers already making a RC CAM?

There are several sources for ready-to-use systems. The vendor links forum has some resources. Yb2normal, a helpful long time RC-CAM site member, sells them too and he has good stuff at fair prices. There are other quality vendors out there too. On the flip side, the market is sadly buried in cheap Hong Kong imported junk, sold mainly in venues like eBay.

However, wireless video for R/C may never be mainstream because there are a couple of hurdles. First, the systems {that work well} require a ham license to operate legally in most countries, including the USA. Secondly, this is microwave based RF. So, not matter how hard a vendor tries to make this plug-n-play, it just never will be that for everyone. The installation and operation requires an attention to detail and some RF knowledge goes a long way.

Everyone here seems to be a project man, tinckering with this and that, there has got to be a ready to use system out there compatible with the RC market.

That is the exact purpose of this site. RC-CAM is a technical resource. Mainstream stuff and out-of-box solutions really don't serve the focus of what is going on here. For that, you can go to all the other R/C forums and avoid the technical discussions (and perhaps not learn how to make wireless video systems work its best).

Real fustrating hearing that this video camera and transmitter go together and then finding out that you have to make all kinds of mods to it because of either poor video quality, not enough distance or just plain does not work because of interference.

Again, that is the nature of the microwave RF beast. Plus, it doesn't help that many vendors use CMOS cameras instead of CCD. Some print bogus specs (and even when they do publish real data, the average Joe will not know how to interprete it).

Here is a basic plan I recommend to those interested in R/C Wireless Video. First, get a ham license. You need technician class. Cost is free, or nearly so. Details are at www.arrl.org. Next, buy a system that includes a good CCD camera and is 50mW to 200mW of REAL RF power that operates on a ham legal 2.4Ghz freq. Lastly, use the knowledge you gain in studying for the ham test to help ensure a good RF installation of the equipment. And expect to tinker. Cost? If you are a DIY'er and don't mind soldering some connectors and building a regulated airborne power supply, then budget $250. Otherwise, budget twice that for a ready-to-install system.

If all that sounds like too much work, then you can always go another route. Lightweight digital cameras can be used too. They take stunning photos and many can also record videos. The RC-CAM Projects Page has links to CamMan, a very popular DIY project for controlling the shutter on digital cameras. Or, you can glue a servo to the camera and trigger it that way. R/C sites like eZone have plenty of information on how this is being done by the average R/C'er.

R/C wireless video is a blast and worth a little effort. :)

I have just bought an 800mw HongKong complete system (apart from my Handycam) Only cost me about £22 including postage. Came in four days without any problems. Obviously not the best quality, but previously I had bought a 200 mw HongKong system which is very similar but was short on range. Built in to a small housing, it fits on a leading edge, held with elastic bands. It worked fine, giving good pictures until out of range which was sometimes about 200 yards and sometimes 500, depending on altitude and line of sight. Using my Sony Handycam with ability to record like a VCR, I have been able to make up quite a good short film using a combination of the Handycam and the airborne videoCam. Now with the new 800mw units I hope to have cured the short range, plus a stable power supply and a fine tuning system on the transmitter to keep the picture as good as it will ever get with such a simple camera etc. All good fun and teaching me quite a lot!

Full professional systems are being sold in the Uk, but cost about £160 and as far as I can tell are the same components from HongKong.