Sign in to follow this  
randall1959

Mr RC CAM, a question if I may.

Can you tell me about the legalities of operating a 900 mhz system? After some research I am wondering if that's what this system actually is, instead of 1.2 Ghz. The brochure says the camera can be anything from 900 mhz to 1.2 ghz and after I emailed the retailer, I was told that systems sold to the US are 900 mhz. I went to the arrl website but unless I was missing something I didn't see what I was looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated. A friend of mine has a digital freq counter and I'm going to look into this more tomorrow after work.

Regarding the legality of the 900mhz video system, the FCC rules are very simple. Only devices that have a valid FCC Part 15 registration number on them can be used license free. The Part 15 devices are VERY low power (under 1mW of effective radiated power). The mfg must submit test data to the FCC in order to be granted the registration number, which must be displayed on the transmitter.

EVERYTHING else requires a license. A Part 97 ham license is used for hobby actitvity. Commercial usage requires a Part 90 license. The FCC web has the details for the Part 15, 90, and 97 use.

Does your 900Mhz Tx have a valid FCC registration on it? If not, you will need a license to use it (as long as it complies with the license rights you are granted).

In nearly every case I have seen, where a vendor sold a low cost "tuneable" 900Mhz-1.2Ghz system, the device ended up using the reserved aviation frequencies. These frequencies are illegal to use (even to licensed hams), per the FCC rules. In the "1.2Ghz" spectrum, only 1240Mhz - 1300Mhz is available for ham radio use. Other bands have their respective range of available ham freq's.

The spectrum map for licensed ham operation is here:

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulatio...bands_color.pdf

A part 97 is commonly referred to as a "tech-no-code" license isn't it? And yes it looks like I'd have to get a license to be legal since I can find no sticker of that sort on this unit. I went to the FCC website and typed in "Part 97" but all I got was a list of pages. I'm not really sure what to look under.

Edited by randall1959

Ok, thanx. I browsed the website and added it to my list for when I have more time as it's late. According to the link you sent me, it's what us CBers called "tech-no-code". I will probably take the online course as it's rather hard to do it in a fixed setting as I work odd hours. Once again, thanks