Sign in to follow this  
modelman

Wireless Cams & Computers

After using a 7” DVD player screen for viewing my wireless cams images I suddenly thought why not use my 14" laptop for viewing and recording. This has presented a few issues in linking the RX's video to the computer.

I wish to display my video wireless camera’s images on the laptops screen during flying in real time (30 fps). I also want to record images at this frame rate on to the laptops hard drive in my chosen format.

My 1.2 GHz laptop only has USB 1.1 so I will have to fit either a USB2 or firewire card using the expansion slots.

My questions are:

1) Which card is the best to use? Firewire is probably best as it is more geared towards photo applications. However I have heard there are more devices available in USB2 format.

2) What is the cheapest option of getting composite video into my laptop at 30fps and 640x480 resolution? I believe that there are small adapters available.

3) Where can I get these devices from?

4) Which is the best software to use? i.e.- Pinnacle Studio

Any comments or advice appreciated.

Regards…Mark

Edited by modelman

I think the time lag will always be far too high if you feed video through a laptop/computer, you could use an external screen and feed the video in via a video to vga convertor, I see Maplin have them now.

Terry

Terratec sells a PCMCIA capture card that does hardware MPEG-2 encoding in full resolution, but the lag is enormous (about 1 second), and it loses sync during 2-3 seconds at every dropout. This makes it unusable for our purpose. USB2 devices seem to be better. I have an internal AverTV tuner/capture device, and the lag is really short, around 100ms. With a bit of practise it's usable to fly. The best thing anyhow is to use a real monitor for real-time viewing, and to use the laptop for recording. For demos, as my laptop's screen is not very bright in the sun, I plug a 6.4'' LCD monitor to the PC's TV out. This spares a video splitter.

Just do a search, you'll find lots of USB2 devices around the net or even in local stores.

Thanks guys for your comments.

I have already done a little research.

Below is the link for a USB2 device that claims real time viewing on a pc at DVD quality resolutions. It sells for around £40. Maybe someone has already tried it!!

http://www.trust.com/products/product.htm?...nr=13991&show=1

And another by Maplin costing around £60

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...ldID=&doy=11m10

Regards...Mark

Edited by modelman

I bought a convertor from Video (yellow phono) to USB. Got it through Ebay. Connected to the video output from my receiver it works fine on my laptop. However I never found out how to record the pictures. I now us a Sony Handycam coupled direct to the receiver and used as a VCR. This works very well, allowing monitoring on the cam screen and saves everything. I later edit using ViseoWave 7.

Engineman