crashergs

Can someone input for my first UAV setup, please.

Hey Im lost, if anyone can help me gather up a list of what I need to get my Hangar 9 Super Cub for Telemetry and GPS the most cost effective way, or something around 200.00 USD. I would like to use my notebook and let my plane fly 2+ miles using waypoints and gps and wireless cameras. If anyone pleaseee can start me off, I would greatly appreciate it. This hobby is amazing and takes Rc modeling to a whole other level.

I appreciate it guys.

BTW my radio is JR, 700s PCM reviever will be installing a 1200+ MAH battery, and the engine is a zenoah 26cc.

Edited by crashergs

Well thats the same reason I"m here . I have been looking into it for a couple of months. Can you build circuit boards? If not check this out http://u-nav.com/pdc10.html

I have gone through most of the threads here. The info is hit and miss. I think a lot of projects are started and then interest falls off. To do what you want is not that hard. But to do it for $200 may be a problem.

Have you checked out the information at http://rcpilot.sourceforge.net/modules/rcap/index.php ??

Take some time to read the info at the 2 above sites (maybe you already have) . I'll check back to see if I can answer any easy questions...

Tom...

$200 is not much money for even a budget UAV system. It will probably cost you between $300 and $400 for a basic setup.

Your best bet is to purchase the pieces in stages to become familiar with their capabilities and to spread the cost out a bit.

If you go the route I did, then the first piece of equipment you should by is the FMA copilot from www.fmadirect.com ... Install it, become familiar with it's capabilities and shortcomings, then pick up a pdc10 from www.u-nav.com, and an etrex, or gecko GPS unit from... whereever you can get it cheapest. Install it, become familiar with it's capabilities and shortcomings, then buy your video system and overlay.

Here's my UAV:

http://yb2normal.com/UAV_SlowStick.html

If you get as far as having an autopiloted airplane, we can talk about the bells and whistles :)

Regards,

Bill

very informative, thanks for the reply. I have a question though. if you get an etrex or a gecko gps how can you set it up to your computer to see realtime where the plane is flying over? Also what is an overlay. 300-400 is still in my budget even 500.00. With the autopilot can you set it waypoint over a notebook? I want a notebook to be involved in my uav with telemetry. Any ideas yb2normal. I like your setup by the way.... how does she fly.

500 will get you no where near real-time telemetry autopilot. Sorry for the reality check, start small and work you way up.

Matt Klarich

Crash,

She flies very well, thank you. I'm thinking of increasing the size of the ailerons a bit, but haven't got around to it.

Listen to Matt... start small, get something basic flying so you can build up your experience.

An 'overlay' displays the data directly on the video frame. It is usually implemented on the airframe side of things.

Bill