ebourlet

I need to change switch point on pancam

I have the need to switch a glow plug on at anything below about 1/3rd throttle. I thought the Pan Cam code may work but using the AUX output it chages state at a bit too high of throttle setting. What I would like to do is use a PIC to drive something along the lines of an IRFZ42 to turn on a glow plug at low throttle to improve idle. I have built one of these using an MC14013 but was hoping to find a cleaner way to do it. ANy ideas? Thanks.

After reading my original post I can see where I may have not worded it right. I have no intent to violate any use agreenments of MR. RC-CAMS codes. I have used your code to build a camera switch and would never want to modify any of your code . I apreciate you sharing with all of us and would never want to jepodize that. Thanks for all you work.

Edited by ebourlet

I don't have anything in my bag of tricks for a user-programmable switch threshold. One of these days I will create a project that supports that (it has been on the to-do list for awhile). Perhaps there is a RC-CAM'er out there that has a compatible project that that they can share?

ebourlet, I'd be interested in discussing your project, can you please email me and we'll see what we can come up with.

Thanks,

Bill

P.S. Can you point me to a commercial low-throttle glow driver so I can get an idea of what they are capable of?

I don't have anything in my bag of tricks for a user-programmable switch threshold. One of these days I will create a project that supports that (it has been on the to-do list for awhile). Perhaps there is a RC-CAM'er out there that has a compatible project that that they can share?

Yep....

At least I have some code that I've written to store points into the PIC's EEPROM by the means of a pushswitch. Written in assembly though. I use it to store the end points in my own PanCam-like device, to program the threshold on my electronic ignition switch and many more.

Indeed the ignition switch could be transformed to a glow switch with a few code lines. Even with variable intensity if you'd like to :P

The hardware already includes a 100A MOSFET that can be used to drive anything.

If you'd like the design files just tell. I've made it especially for my new 2.3m Extra :D

Bill, here is a link to the one I use now. It is not PIC based but just a simple dual flipflop based design . Glow driver switch

Thanks for all the interest in my question. While I have been a communications technician for 20 years+ I am a real novice at PIC stuff. I did make a PC board and built a simple JDM style PIC programmer. I have no idea how to do anything at this point other that burn someone elses HEX code into them. I use IC-PROG. I would love to learn how to take an assembly program and get it into the HEX. I asume I need some kind of compiler program to do that. This may not be the place to ask but ,the programmer I built just has a DIP socket this works fine for a full size DIP but I got some free sample SMD PIC chips and would like to know if there is an adapter to clamp an SMD that I can then plug into my DIP socket .Any help or pointers is apreciated. Thanks.

Edited by ebourlet

I would love to learn how to take an assembly program and get it into the HEX. I asume I need some kind of compiler program to do that.

You can get a free assembler and complete IDE from Microchip. Here is some PIC r/c asm code I have found.

N9GEZ

Edited by MikeDD