Kin

Anyone trying 3D stereoscopic setups? ;)

Hello All. I just thought of doing a R/C cam mount today and I found The Wizard's web site!!! THANK YOU MR.BLACK!!!!!!!!!!

that out of the way... **PLZ tell me** :) has anyone tryed using 2 cams mounted next to each other (like eyes) and 2 moniters "projected" one to each of your eyes in order to create a live **3D video** of your charished flights??

I've been pressed to find really good examples of this any 3d stereoscopic *video* online but I have created pleanty of my own with a computer and programming. Tho, I have found some good stills of this concept.

http://www.ray3d.com/ <- pretty pics

How to view. Only one method is shown here, read below for more.

*for crossed and parrellel viewing you must have the right screens in the right eyes. so if it looks all weird you may need to change the order of the pics/tvs to get it to look right.*

*if you can't do it and don't want to use mirrors try zooming out on the pics untill you can *

Using a computer (game. homebrew. my only exp.) to make video like the stills was very simple. And very fun.

I just put two cameras pointing parrallel and at the same height and depth (x and y). Then, adjust the width (space betwine or z) to balence the "3Dness" (ummm... depth perception. yeah.) Next, you need to have two equaly shaped screens and figure out how to get your eyes to look at the two seperate screens at the same time. You can do this three ways, for free or under 4$.

One is to cross your eyes untill one screen apears to overlap perfictly with the other.

Two, "parrallel" your eyes, in the same way you would with a "magic eye picture", untill one 3d picture (same as above).

Finaly, the eye saving method but ducktape intencive (unless you do wood work), is you use 4 mirrors or 2 prisms to split up your vision and put the right image for each eye. If you want a picture of this, just ask and i'll MS PAINT it. NP :P

Nice comunity here!! Good info!! VIVA WIZ!! THX ALL!!

T.I. and I tried this experiment with a couple of small camcorder-like eyepieces and two video systems. Our installation was jerry-rigged at best, and only tested on the ground, but we quickly discovered the main short coming of stereoscopic vision.... that it is only effective at relatively short distances. We were unimpressed with the stereo effect on objects more than 100 feet away.

This could be improved by spacing the cameras farther apart, but we never got that far in our experiments.

Regards,

Bill

THX bill

yup. how far apart were they? do you know the horizontal angle for that cam? how'd the objects < 100ft look in 3d? if you remember any of this..

Have you looked at some of the images of buildings and mountais and esp cloud formations on the site above? or any site... large distance/profesional 3D feel.

I think it would be important to have the cams spaced atleast as far apart as your eyes but for distance viewing twice or three times would be much better. From experiments I've made with the computer game and simulated hills in the distace.

In the game I made *distant* hills apear much much closer (without zooming in) and much more 3D by spacing the "eyes" 3 ft apart (scale to the game). With this setup, anything < 15 ft away would LEAP out of the screen and bonk you one.

I was thinking if i got it setup pretty well I could sell rides on a R/C airplane in 3d, at festivals, for kids and kid like adults. I would make a prism based super cheap "VR" setup and a sign saying 5$ rides in 3D skys. (Two triangle prisms to split your vision and look at two small TVs placed on either side, 90 degrees to the prisms.)

do you think it would be much harder to mount two camera to an r/c plane? maybe with each cam out on either wing, mounted like missles on a military plane, you could increase the depth perception dramaticly?

I'm soo hooked on this idea and I would very much like to put it together. But, I'd like to have as much info about this before I start so I waste less time/money. THX for any info!

Edited by Kin

I think the cameras were pointed straight ahead (no convergence) and were about 12 inches apart.

You can enhance the 3d effect of farther away objects by moving the cameras farther apart, but then you get an interesting effect where it feels like you are a giant walking through a tiny landscape :)

Bill

*for crossed and parrellel viewing you must have the right screens in the right eyes. so if it looks all weird you may need to change the order of the pics/tvs to get it to look right.*

Cross eyed viewing is a talent that some folks do not have (me for one :(). And for many folks, it takes a bit of concentration to maintain the image. So, standard stereo vision techniques might be a better choice for FPV.

Here is a cross-eyed demo video created by John Ballou (home.comcast.net/~jlballou/stereoaerial/). Try it and see if the method works for you:

http://home.comcast.net/~stereoaerial/vide...o/HomeMovie.wmv

Kin,

Bill and I really wanted this to work...and it was fun. It does seem that stereo vision diminishes with distance (as you might expect). It seems reasonable that it would become undetectable at a distance 20 to 50 times the camera spacing because there would be no detectable difference between each image. The feeling that we were giants in a tiny land was very cool. For this effect, we had the cameras about 12"-18" apart.

T.I.

Sweet... I do like the giant view. I got to see some like that from the game i made. Do you have a favorite FPV setup you can share? I've been toying with 4 large right-angle prisms and two 13" TVs placed to either side of me facing inward... I'm not sure if that was clear at all? I'll draw a picture when i get home from work.

THX Wiz! That 3d video is cool! I've been looking for one like that for a week.

I can see both cross-eyed and parrallel viewing without any problems. I perfer parrellel because I can look at it much longer without hurting my eyes. Then above that, ive done setups with mirrors that have worked great for those who can't cross their eyes or "do" magic eyes (for parrallel). To view in 3d is for sure best for FPV flying. :)

Edited by Kin

I'd like rekindle this old thread for a bit. I have considered trying to fly a stereo system for years but wanted to do it stepwise. Try a mono system first which I've done now. I just received an FH630 headset from Future Hobbies and found that it is compatible with a 3D system called Field Sequential Stereo. The question is how does one implement the video origin end of the system? Obviously one of the cameras would have to be synchronized with the other. I have never seen a lightweight camera with external sync. Has anyone any experience with this stuff?