Sign in to follow this  
Kin

I love this idea you all share! I wanna join!

Hi All!

I just discovered FPV R/C planes 4 days ago and I'm soo hooked on the idea. Does anyone have the time/energy to answer a few questions or give general tips you think will help me get going in the direction of a rc-cam of my own?

Soo many questions! I'll just ask afew.

Is it worth it, for someone who has never used a rc plane, to get a 12$ 12mph plane off ebay to practice with?

How expencive would a plane be that could support the weight of the RC-CAM4? (I'd asume the 12$ ones won't cut it)

Are there any Antenna's ("Sending/Reciving things" right?) that I could get for less cost than the 10X's model but with compairable quality?

Any help, I would be very greatful for. If I stick with this and get good I promise to support this forum! Good work on ALL THE INFO here!!!

Cheers ~ Sean

Since you have never flown an R/C airplane before, I suggest you start off with learning how to fly. Pick something stable (easier to control) and large enough to haul a few ounces of camera gear. My first recommendation would be a GWS SlowStick kit. Do a search on the SlowStick to read more about it.

As far as the video system goes, there are many choices. Besides the XCam hack, there are several micro sized video transmitters being offered by retailers and eBay (but watch out for the junk sold on eBay). I suggest you pick one that uses 2.4GHz and has a CCD camera. If your budget allows it, the Lawmate gear offered by blackwidowAV.com has many favorable reviews.

Keep in mind that the video systems you use will require a ham radio license to use in most countries, including the USA.

THX Mr.Cam! Lots of work to do it seems. I want to pick up a plane to start working on soon and both the GWS SlowStick kit and the Soarstar look beautiful. I'm mostly interested in putting together a stereoscopic setup eventualy. Would both these models carry enough to house two cameras and transmiters? Also, I've had many hours of training with RC simulators and MS flight. (If that would help me out so I look at more advanced models? I'm not sure how much harder the Soarstar is..) I'd like somthing that I could fly slow and controled, in tight space, but will suport the weight of the two cams. ??Wishfull??

Thanks so much for your help! I know this would be sooo much harder if this source was not available...

There are so many choices, but I suggest you start with a SlowStick since it is very low cost. It is a simple trainer (one of the easiest to assemble and fly). You can always move your R/C gear to another model once you feel you are ready.

In stock form, the slowstick will carry about a 6 oz payload. If you upgrade to a high performance brushless motor, and strengthen the wing, it can haul much more. Winds higher than about 8 mph will bounce it around a lot, so consider it a calm day flyer.

There are endless discussions about using the SlowStick for camera use on many of R/C forums. It is very popular for this application.

Ive been hooked on this idea for a long time, but my mini cams antenna walmost will never reach, is there any way that I can extend my range. And i'm also trying to look for a small cheap helicopter capable of holding a mini cam, any sugestions?