Sign in to follow this  
flyboy03051

2.4Ghz wireless camera questions

:o I just purchased a inexpensive a package deal from Raidentech.com. It included a 3 channel ARF plane PLUS a 2.4Ghz wireless camera with audio package. I just started playing with the camera but have a few questions.

1) The camera spec sheet said the camera has 10 milliwatts of output power. What distance would you expect to get at that power level?

2) Would just changing the receivers antenna improve the distance? What would you suggest.

3) What are some inexpensive options to convert the analog signal to digital?

4) I've been reading some of the previous posts regarding CMOS camera and CCD cameras. If I find an inexpensive CCD camera at 2.4Ghz can I use it withthe existing system or would I have to replace the reciever also?

Thanks for you assistance

Bob

If your camera and transmitter are all one piece, there isn't much you can do with it, except for building a GP Patch.

10mw if it's accurate will give you quite a bit of range, around a half mile or so.

If your camera is seperate from your tx, swapping it for a CCD unit will give you much better video.

Two options for converting analog to digital are either getting a Mini DV camcorder and using it to record your flights or getting a video capture card for your pc and hooking up a vcr to it to download your video onto your pc.

Edited by randall1959

I've looked at the raidentech systems and they all seem to be one piece......so the best thing would be to try the GP Patch antenna. They are easy to build and really extend range. Also, wire two 9 volt batteries in parallel to power your camera and it will keep it's frequency better and not drift.

Hi Randell1959,

Thanks for responding! I was trying out the wireless camera system yesterday and think I was lucky to get 100 feet without the signal dropping out, it was very dissipointing.

I'll work with it some more and look into the GP antena.

If anyone has a similar system I'd interested in hearing we they to improve it.

Bob

try a better power supply like an eight cell park flyer pack to power your camera. A nine volt transistor radio battery just doesn't have the reserve capacity to keep your frequency from drifting.