evader

Telescoping Mast

*edit: sorry for posting in the wrong forum topic, I ment to post in the R/C wireless video and still camera forum*

Hello all,

I am a newbie at aerial photography, having foolishly bought a RC cam helicopter and broke it since it wasn't designed for outdoor high wind flying.

I am now looking to build a mast system with a still camera on top but don't know the best way to remotely pan and tilt the camera and to trigger the shutter.

So far I have decided on this telescoping pole: http://www.giraffecam.com/LWseries.

Could anybody recommend any plug and play kits or easy to make projects to create a motor for the pan/tilt and still camera triggering? I cannot build any system on my own that requires HEX or other complicated electronic programming.

PS:

I am planning to spend no more than $300 for the pan/tilt + remote control and I have a used Canon PowerShot A40. I also managed to salvage the wireless eyecam from the broken helicopter to preview the shots.

Edited by evader

I dont know of any plug and play unless you use cctv gear. I built all my own electronics for my mast.

Terry

post-7-1102623363_thumb.jpg

Do you own a laptop evader?? Canon cameras come with some decent software and you can get USB cables with powered hubs more then long enough to reach 40 or 50 feet. That way the camera is powered thru USB with batteries for backup and you can preview the shot on the laptop and also trigger the shot from the laptop. You might even be able to zoom from the software, I don't remember.

As far pan and tilt I am sure you can make or have someone make a cheap and dirty pan and tilt unit using a couple heavy duty model servos. I can throw together a hard wired dual servo control unit that would have a wire 50 foot long so you will not shoot down any models in the area using R/C gear.

Give me a scream if you want something.

Matt Klarich

I have a laptop and believe it did come with the software to control it. As for the servos I found this one type in servocity.com called an X-Y mount. Would that do the trick? (I'm not sure if it includes the servos in addition to the mount as in the picture).

Also is the dual servo control unit the device that replaces the remote control unit? In any case I'm interested in it if it can be built for me including the 50ft wire.

If you get the servos and mounts I will build the servo control unit to replace the remote control portion (as I said, so you don't have to use model airplane/car frequencies and possibly shoot someone in the area on the same frequency down.

I also found a USB extension that uses network cable of any length up to 330 feet. So that will work with the laptop.

Matt