Sign in to follow this  
Mr.RC-Cam

Do You Recognize This Connector Brand?

I am trying to find a vendor that sells the 4-pin connector used on the Hirobo XRB Lama micro heli. I have looked through Digi-Key and Mouser but nothing was a match. They do not seem to be Molex, Amp, or Samtec. Of interest is the receptacles, which accept a .050" (approx) flat blade rather than a square post pin. They are on 2.50mm or 2.54mm (.1") centers.

With your help, maybe I'll get lucky and find a match. I'm offering a free programmed RC-Cam Project PIC (of your choice) to the first forum member that offers a direct web link to the mfg or distributor.

Here are top and bottom photos of the little devil:

post-6-1103304655_thumb.jpg

Looks like a pc board plug to me. Have you tried computer stores? I've seen that plug in car stereo applications as well.

Edited by randall1959

Another one here

http://www.hobby-warehouse.com/himila03xrba.html

Here is also hirobo's direct email address in case all you want are the connectors.

model-ms-AT-hirobo.co.jp <model-ms-AT-hirobo.co.jp>

Edited by randall1959

Part number 0301018

Thanks, but that is for the expensive Hirobo cable assembly (my target price needs to be under $2 each). Basically, I need the name of the mfg that makes the connector. I have spoken to several connector firms and so far the identity of this component is a mystery. Within the connector market there are dozens (maybe hundreds) of look-alikes, but they are not compatible with each other.

Here is also hirobo's direct email address in case all you want are the connectors.

I have been that route and so far nothing (they have not responded to my emails).

I appreciate the help.

The mystery is over. It is a "2.5 Wire to Wire Connector Receptable Housing with Retainer" that is part of Molex's 51111 series. The next step is to find a stocking distributor that will sell a few to me (the Molex web site says none are available).

RC-CAM

Mr. RC-Cam,

Those are definately Molex 4 pin connectors. I get them and the crimps from Mouser on a regular basis. A real pain to crimp so we bought a crimper as well. Mouser will sell in smaller quantities.

Cheers,

Jim

Edited by jtprouty

I get them and the crimps from Mouser on a regular basis.

Can you offer the part number you are referring to? The 51111 series is not in the printed catalog or on their web page. The sales rep could not find them either.

Mr. RC-Cam,

The part number that we use is a 51021-0400. I can send you one if you'd like to see if it will work for you. I think the only difference is the alignment pins on the bottom. They are a real pain to crimp because of the small size of the crimp. If you drop one I swear it'll disappear before it hits the floor! ;)

Cheers,

Jim

Thanks for looking. That connector is vastly different and won't work. It has 1.25mm spacing and a ~.015" sq pin. The 51111 series has 2.50mm pin spacing and uses an odd .050" tab/blade pin.

I spoke to Molex this week and there are none in their inventories or any distributor inventories. The best my preferred distributors can do is eleven week lead times with a min order of 1K pieces. I have some samples on order, but they are not expected to arrive for a couple of months. It is all very sad.

I am using some hacked SIP sockets at this point. It works, but is not ideal.

OK, sorry I can't help. My boss uses these connectors on his micro servos for his Piccolo heli.

Hope you can get yours in a reasonable amount of time.

Jim

That series of connectors is also mnf'd by Hirose electric and another company in japan called JAM. Also if I am not crazy the walden group bought by molex also mnf'd this connector but I think they did it to print as a 2nd source. If you send the local hirose electric a clear picture of the connectors and the pins that are used they would normally be able to get you the info you need. Not sure if the Walden reps are as nice.

Vaughn

P.S. unless it is a NRNR (non refundable non returnable) item the shell can only cost up to $0.50ea in 100pc lots with the pins being 4-6 cents each so you s/b able to meet your price requirementa.

Thanks for the info. I have plenty of these now. It took several weeks for Molex to deliver them. They are a made to order part and not normally stocked. Min order qty is 1,000 pieces, but I was able to get plenty of samples at no charge.

BTW, Early on I spoke to Hirose sales engrs too. Even sent photos of the connector and dimensions. They claimed they did not have anything like it.