Sign in to follow this  
randall1959

Is it possible to power a digital camera using

Is there a positive and negative wire in a usb cable? I was thinking about possibly powering my camera by plugging a usb into it and running those two wires to my flight pack. How do you tell which wire is which?

If your camera is an Aiptek PenCam 1.3 or PenCam SD (or a rebranded version), then USB power will power it and keep it awake. That is the method that the CamMan-Aiptek project uses.

However, the other camera brands/models will not work because they will think they are connected to a PC and will expect to negotiate a USB connection. The two Aipteks work because they do not closely follow the USB spec.

USB pinouts are easy to find -- just Google.

The camera I tried using it on is an Aiptek DVII and all it would do was go into download or video mode. I ran a receiver pack directly into the hot and ground wire on the usb plug and that's what I found.

Edited by randall1959

The camera I tried using it on is an Aiptek DVII and all it would do was go into download or video mode.

Other than the PenCam 1.3 and PenCam SD (or their rebranded clones), your results are the common theme. This trickery will not work on anything beyond these two cameras.

You can power the other models via the battery leads (maintain proper voltage!). But, you will need to manage the auto shutoff feature somehow. Some cameras can go as long as 5 mins before idle shutdown, so that is not always a problem.

According to a fellow on another forum, a vivitar 3350 (Twenty bucks at walmart) will stay on indefinately using the power leads from the usb, and you can still take photos. He says you have to leave the batteries in so the memory doesn't dump, but the usb lead bypasses the auto off.

With a resolution of 640X480 it'd still be good enough for most web posts, and would cost about thirty dollars, because all you need then is a cheap servo to operate the shutter.

I got one for my son and they are just as light as the aiptek blip chip.

No additional memory but they do hold around eighty photos anyway.

... a vivitar 3350 (Twenty bucks at walmart) will stay on indefinately using the power leads from the usb

Good find. There are other entry cameras that will work off the USB port (mostly rebranded Aipteks), but the low VGA (300K) resolution is a downside. The AP cameras that are most desireable have 1MP or higher resolution.