Sign in to follow this  
Terry

Carvec or not ?

Hi, Im very rapidly going down the heli route of AP at the moment, I have a Vario Benzine heli but want to make it hands off stable. I have been thinking of putting a co-pilot and hh gyro on board to do this and also have an idea for an altitude hold system. I have also seen the Carvec system that looks very good and I have been unable to find the price but I guess it will be high. What are the merits of a Carvec over a Co-Pilot ? Has anyone built a altitude hold for a heli ?

Thanks, Terry

Hi Terry,

I've used both Carvec and co-pilot on my helicopter. Carvec is much more expensive than co-pilot. The going price is around 2000UKP from what I've heard recently. Now, if that's not stopping you, we can discuss pros and cons of both approaches. The biggest advantage of Carvec is that it uses inertial system with accelerometers and gyroscopes to calculate attitude. Unlike co-pilot which relies on outside IR horizon. There is not a simple answer to which one is better - it all depends on what you want to do.

Do a search on Carvec on this forum - I believe I answered similar question before.

PS. I am not a sales rep for Carvec, I purchased the system 2 years ago and was probably the first user of Carvec outside of UK.

Thanks for your reply CF, 2K is a lot of money and it would take a lot to get me to spend that much. My main aim is to be able to get my heli to hold station for 30 seconds or more with no input from me. This would be in good daylight and light winds so I think the co-pilot with an altitude hold added may do the job with a bit of trimming of the sensor. Is there any other system that is worth looking at ?

Terry

Is there any other system that is worth looking at ?

There are no other inertial systems that are cheaper than Carvec, at least when I looked at it 2yrs back. Co-pilot is not a bad alternative - it will keep heli level (more or less). 30 seconds shouldn't be a problem unless you are flying in a tight places.

I'd definitely start with co-pilot as it is much cheaper to try. You may find its performance acceptable for what you do.

Thanks for that, you pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. The co-pilot at £100 has to be tried first, I was just not sure if I was missing the point. I know the Carvec will hold more steady in gusty conditions which would be nice but an extra 2K is a lot to pay for that. I think there are a lot more functions included which I dont need, its a shame there is not a more basic version.

Terry

I just checked the price of the complete CARVEC system and its 2.5k.

Terry