Sign in to follow this  
roto

heading hold gyros and pancam

I am presently using rc servos modified for 360 rotation (with the pot disconnected)on a 3 axis camera mount. I have experimented with using a heading hold gyro (with some success on the pan axis only) to stablize the mount which is on a tethered helium blimp that swings around a little. the problem I run into is that if i turn up the gain past next to nothing i get an oscillation.

Does pancam only work with the pot hooked up?

would pancam work with a sail servo that does 3 rotations?

would pancam address any of the problems im having with the shakes using a heading hold gyro on my camera mount?

I would love to get my camera mount set up with 3 heading hold gyros so that if im not touching the sticks the camera will hold its attitude and heading. I think this would be useful to alot of people especially kite aerial photographers. I would appreciate any light anyone can shed on this.

Thanks,

Chris Blake

Does pancam only work with the pot hooked up?

It has a primitive mode that allows use without a pot. I suggest that you retain the pot since that mode offers better precision.

Would pancam work with a sail servo that does 3 rotations?

It should. But since the sail servos I have seen were not proportional, the "potless" PanCam mode will probably be needed. The precision is low in that mode.

Would pancam address any of the problems im having with the shakes using a heading hold gyro on my camera mount?

I have no idea, but my gut feeling is that it will not solve all of your oscillation problems. By the way, using PanCam on a standard rate gyro will make it behave sort of like a heading hold gyro.