Sign in to follow this  
Mr.RC-Cam

Hack the Sony PS1 Color LCD Monitor

The USA based Toys-R-Us is dumping the Sony PlayStation-One 5" Color LCD monitor. Regular price is $129, but the various stores have it for $35 to $49, depending on how lucky you get. The SKU is 711719401704.

You have to supply the A/V cables. It takes a camcorder style 1/8" 4-conductor A/V mini plug. The monitor comes with a 7.5VDC AC wall adapter. For field use you will need to build a 1A Vreg that converts your 12V field battery to 7.5VDC. A LM317 would be fine, but plan on a HUGE heat sink.

You can use the monitor on your wireless video Rx without any real modifications. It has good brightness, but for wireless AP use you will still need to add the usual shadow box to it to see the screen in strong sunlight.

However, it has a goofy assembly on the bottom that is designed to slip onto the Playstation game. I was not at all happy with it that way. So, I hacked it.

Here are the steps to remove the unneeded plastic parts and add your own custom A/V connectors. When you are done, it will look like this:

NOTE: This hack will void the warranty. It is very difficult and requires fine pitch soldering. DO NOT attempt this if you do not have extensive soldering experience. If any step is not clear to you then I suggest you close up the unit and forget you ever saw these instructions.

post-5-1106457995_thumb.jpg

The first thing to do is to remove the six screws from the face (see photo). Then remove the three screws on the base assembly (not shown). Once they are all out, you can pop the LCD's case apart.

post-5-1106458103_thumb.jpg

Go ahead an unplug all the cables that connect the main PCB to the unwanted base assembly. We don't need them. Instead, custom connectors of your choice are added.

All of the wires that you will add are easily identified by the silkscreen references on the PCB and by reviewing the photo shown below.

A three wire cable is used for the stereo audio input. You can bridge left and right together if you only need mono audio (use a 2-wire cable). The PCB has tiny pads that are labeled "Audio_R" and "Audio_L," as shown in the photo. Audio ground is at the PCB's "GND1" pad (scratch some solder mask off if needed).

There are three tiny pads that must be connected (shorted) together with 30-AWG wire (or use a single strand of wire taken from 24-AWG stranded cable). The pads are labeled "HPL", "HPS," and "HPR." See the photo.

The Video wire is connected to "EXT_V" as shown. The Video gnd wire is connected to any free area near GND1 (scrape away solder mask as needed).

Lastly, the power input cable is added. The +7.5VDC goes to the input pin of Vreg "PU3" and Power Gnd is connected to PU3's heatsink. See photo. {Note: If you wish to use Sony's AC wall adapter then you can save the cost of a mating connector. Just desolder the DC input jack from the base assembly and reuse the jack.}

post-5-1106458624_thumb.jpg

The parts that you removed are shown below. Toss them back in the box. Maybe one day you will need them.

post-5-1106458873_thumb.jpg

The articulated metal hinges are still used. I fashioned a gray plastic base and used 4-40 screws to attach it. It looks and works great. The swivel action still works too.

Many thanks to the folks at eZone for pointing out this special deal at Toys-R-Us.

post-5-1106458964_thumb.jpg

I'm curious how you like the viewing characteristics of this monitor. I just read a few reviews and none were really that good to be honest.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-...X5RRO2AG&s=toys

BTW, my local ToysRUs still has them at $99

Edited by tomapowa

Currently I'm using mine on a security system. The video looks great to me.

BTW, the Intec monitor shown in your link is not same as the Sony TFT described here.