jjewell

Programming the PIC12C508/A

If this duplicates another post I apologize - I tried to upload a graphic earlier and I received an error message.

So here goes again. I purchased a Willem Standard Dual Power PCB3B Programmer and I am using the included EpromM51 EPROM/Flash Programming Utility.

I tried to determine from the programming interface the four key configuration fuses but I am really only sure about two The MCLR (MCLR/GP3)and The Oscillator. First question - is the WatchDog checkbox the WDT setting? Further I have a Code Protect - Is that the Memory Protected switch?

Finally - when I insert the PIC and load the Hex file - some of these configuration settings change and I get an error message - Error Loading Hex File.

What should I try next.

I am a newbie to this but I can follow instructions. It would be helpful if someone was familiar the EpromM51 interface. There are more variables that are appear settable and I don't want to change anything incorrectly.

Help.

Jim

is the WatchDog checkbox the WDT setting?

Yes.

Code Protect - Is that the Memory Protected switch?

Yes.

when I insert the PIC and load the Hex file - some of these configuration settings change...

The programmer is suppose to read the config fuses from the hex file and then automatically set them. In case the programmer has problems, it is always wise to confirm they are correct.

... and I get an error message - Error Loading Hex File.

That is not good. Long ago someone else had a problem with a hex file that had comments at its end. It worked when the comments were removed. What file are you trying to load?

Use a text editor such as Notepad and open the hex file. Go to the end of it. The very last line says ";PIC12C508A".

Delete that last line and then save the file. That may fix your problem.

Thank you. The hex file was read correctly and the PIC programming appeared to proceed. I will now keep my fingers crossed and try it out.

Thanx again.

Jim

Hello everyone,

I just tried to load the navlights.hex into my programming software (elcheapo).

Initially I got the error message: Invalid Hex file.

After removing the ;PIC12... line in the hex file the programmer loaded the file.

Will update if everything worked.

This is the URL for the DIY programmer elCheapo