HARRomeo

GP Patch protection?

Hey guys, first time here. I recently built the GP patch antenna, however my local building supply didn't have the galvanized sheets, only copper and aluminum, so I went with the copper. I am concerned about it's softer properties though, and I discovered that it fits perfectly inside a standard CD case. This wouldn't cause performance problems, would it?

gpantenna1.jpg

gpantenna2.jpg

gpantenna3.jpg

Edited by HARRomeo

It would be wise to range test it both ways to see if you notice a difference.

Another method is to stick the empty plastic case in a microwave oven and see if its temperature is raised after a few minutes at high power. However, this is very abusive to the oven, so it should only be used as a last resort.

Would the microwave test work if a small glass of water was placed in the oven with it? Also, is that the general rule with 2.4ghz.. if it heats up in a microwave it will block signal?

Items that heat up in a microwave oven are absorbing microwave RF (heating is via molecular movement). Placing a glass of water in the oven will divert a lot of the energy and will make the test less effective. In general, it is best to use the range test method.

Edited by Mr.RC-Cam