Sign in to follow this  
goose

HAL 2100

Hey folks,

I apologise if I have posted this question in the work section or that I shouldn't be asking you folks without introducting myself. Well I can solve one of those problems :)

I am Philip, current resident in a retirement town, deep in the boonies of the UK, I am interesting in the prospect of developing a UAV system, sadly my knowledge is limited to computer construction and Computer C++ and visual basic program, I lack knowledge in relation to the programing of the chips that I have seen many mention, so I decided that to get into this subject, I should jump in at the start, with a .40 engine and a trainer.

My question is in relation to the HAL 2100 unit I purchased, well basically I have a Sanwa VG6000 controller, it says on the Hal unit instruction that I have to change the pins on the receiver unit to be compatable to the hal unit, BUT my controller booklet says that it is identical to the Futaba transmitters, using a new universal, SO, the question is do I change the pins like the hal instructions says, or just keep them the same due to the fact that the booklet for the controller is telling me that they are designed the same as the futaba controllers.

I have one more question, has any one used this unit, what was the results like?

I thank you all.

- Philip

I've never used the HAL, or seen it in person. But, I can offer some info.

BUT my controller booklet says that it is identical to the Futaba transmitters, using a new universal ...

Yes, Airtronics' servo connectors are now the "universal" type. This is in contrast to a proprietary shape they used in the old days. All this means is that you will not have to face a "round hole / square peg" problem. In other words, the Airtronics servo connector will fit into the receptacle found on Futaba, JR, Hitec, and the other popular systems.

... do I change the pins like the hal instructions says, or just keep them the same due to the fact that the booklet for the controller is telling me that they are designed the same as the futaba controllers.

I suggest that you follow the instructions. The cables from the HAL are predefined for each servo position (Ail, Elev, etc.). But, Airtronics and Futaba do NOT follow the same servo position order. I would imagine that the HAL folks recognized this and have offered advice that is appropriate.

I thank you for your quick reply,

I have noticed that too, well I will be sure to let you know if I fry it :)

- Philip

I use HAL at the moment, its been out for years and is a bit dated. Had a few problems with it, the main one being that it dose not like low sun. Easy to set up though.

Terry

UK

Terry,

If I may ask, what are the results from the unit, Steady flight? Okish flight charactristics or a pain in the ass, any tips for me?

- Philip

Dont get me wrong it works well, the flight is steady but it tends to steer the aircraft towards the sun when it is low. I also had trouble with it causing glitches on a Hitec rx but ok with the others I have used. Due to it wanting to steer to the sun it dose not track as staight as you may hope but it dose work and will keep your aircraft levelish. It has no such problem when the sun is high but I fly morning and evenings. I only use it for roll as you can not trim the speed when in flight unless you tilt the sensor. This made the aircraft return back to me far too slow one day when it was down wind (it almost hovered).

Terry

lol

At the moment I am a wee bit unsure of its sighting location, between the undercarriage and then the crash prone area for the newbie, aka the belly so I was wondering, where did you mount your optical unit? On the underside of ontop? What do you use it for, just general flight or camera ship?

- Philip

Hi again, I use it for my cameraship now but have used them for years on training gliders and power. It is better to mount it under the wing if you can to shield it from direct sunlight but I use it on top of the fuse on my camera plane as the camera gets in the way. If I were you I would mount it on top and it will still save your plane just as well.

Terry

::nods::

At the moment I have had to mount it under my Trainer, but to be honest, I am unsure just how successful my trainer will be at the moment :/ I have had issues with the elevator rods, they do have a full range of travel, but there is a good bit of resistance to it, I may have to pull it apart and straighten out the rods sadly :/

Although the trainer isn't of much importance, in the grand scheme of things, I had hoped that it would get my skills up, so once I finsh my autocad UAV fuselage, and build it, I could fly it...

It the minute I am going to mount the hall unit in a new radar style dome on the top of my uav, similar to the proposed V-22 Osprey MASC system, classy looking. :)

At the moment you wouldn't happen to use an autopilot system with your camera system? Any issues with using the Hal system and an autopilot system?

http://navy-matters.beedall.com/images/v22-2.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b3/MASC.jpg

Thanks Terry for your help :)

- Philip

Hi Phillip, first off I would sort out those linkages, they could cause big trouble if they are stiff. Second what is the hall unit you speak off ?

It also would make sense if you trainer is the same configuration as the UAV you are building to make the systems swap more easily. Also can you explain what you mean by autopilot sysem ? Some would call the HAL an autopilot or a gyro, or do you mean GPS guidence ?

Where in the UK are you ?

Terry

Hey Terry,

I do apologise for my spelling mistake, the hall unit should read HAL, I was in a wee bit of a rush to get myself out the door for work.

::nods:: I have a few books on RC aircraft and all of them agree that the linkages are rather important and should more with very little resistance, if the aircraft is to surive longer than the time it takes to hit the ground from 5 ft up lol I am going to remove the rods and see about getting the wire fixed up.

At the moment I would consider the HAL unit nothing more than a Gyro, as it doesn't change course in relation to a predifined range of grid refs to get from point A to point B. I feel that it would complement an auto pilot unit rather well, merely to help stablize the system when in straight and level flight. As for autopilot, I mean a unit that uses GPS to follow a waypoint to waypoint to get to a final destination, using other ranges or imputs such as barometric information and the UAVs own flight systems. What I meant by, do you use an autopilot system on your camera ship, was, do you operate a gps system on the camera ship with the HAL unit running shotgun so to speak.

At the minute the reason I have entered the hobby realm of RC aircraft is due to the fact that I am doing a programing course and we need a Real World application for a program as part of a course work scheme. I chose UAVs as I have been interested in them for quite a while, and have a few ideas with refernce to using a computer, a PDA more to a point, on a rc aircraft to send information etc and to interface with a ground unit, sadly my realm of knowledge only enters the creation of software etc so I will be ploding around here with questions about hardware to software interfaces :)

I hope to employ a wireless and satellite internet system to provide a downlink system for the home base, rather than having to deal with a FM broadcast system, hence the reason for the Radar style dome on the top of my proposed UAV, a place for the HAL unit to be "broken", I use that term with all the love in my heart as I will be careful with my £40 investment, a part and the satellite system to be intergrated. the first prototype will lack the satellite link, as the PDA can not simply handle that type of hardware nor the load, although in the prototype is successful I will progress to the large scaled model.

- Philip

Oh, by the way I am from the bonny isle of Northern Ireland, what about you?

Ahh I am getting the whole picture now. I have used GPS to guide my aircraft back to the field when I get lost but not for anything more. There are some people on this forum that use it for steering round a route using way points but I dont know of anyone who alters the flight plan while thier aircraft is in the air (guys ???).

So in short HAL works well along side a GPS guidence system.

If you look to the left you will see my location as Taunton :D

Terry

Hey,

My first draft design had to be dropped sadly, it looked too close to a TLAM lol erm thats a Tomahawk Cruise Missile if you don't know that stands for. At the moment if you are interested I can scan in a few of my drafts and post them up here.

At the moment the UAV Autopilot system will imploy the same systems that you folks use to move servos etc, with the addition that the GPS unit will be hooked up to the PDA also, providing a means to change the waypoints on the fly.

I would love it if you could tell me the parts that you use in your autopilot and if I may be so bold as to ask, how much your rig cost and if possible would you mind walking me through the hardware items that you use to build a successful autopilot system?

- Philip

Edited by goose

The autopilot I use is very basic it just uses the output from a GPS receiver to steer the aircraft with the rudder while the HAL uses the ailerons to keep it level. As I said I only uses it to bring back my aircraft if I loose video contact or get lost. Its called a PDC10 if you want to search for it on this forum or any other for that matter. Have a look a u-nav.com they may have what you are looking for, if not there seems to be more stuff availible every time I look so take your pick. My aircraft would cost me about £1000 to replace if I lost it but the heli I am building will be at least double that. It all depends on what you want from it ?

Terry