carlei_aeromidia

Tinytrack3 and PocketTracker

Hi folks,

I want to track my helicam position in real-time using gps receiver signal, on my laptop (of course, an assistant will be monitoring). I am searching for the most affordable and simplest way to achieve it.

Does Tinytrak3 or PocketTracker from www.byonics.com fit my needs? Does it work well?

If I opt for PocketTracker, since it has a 2-meter FM transmitter integrated, what receiver should I use on the ground, and how to connect this receiver to my laptop (OS Windows 98)? What GPS map software can I use?

Other option commented by Cyber-flyer and others in this forum is to use Tinytrack2 with audio channel of a 2.4 GHz transmitter. If this is the case, how to connect Tinytrack to audio channel, since there is no audio connector output in Tinytrack2?

How to translate audio signal via audio output from Blackwidowav (set 2) receiver to a computer protocol that can be reconized by GPS map software?

Is it possible for Tinytrack3 also work with this configuration?, since Tinytrack2 has been discontinued?

I already have these items: GPS receiver Garmin Geko 301 with serial cable, Blackwidowav 1watt 2.4GHz video-audio transmitter and receiver (set 2), laptop (OS Windows 98 SE), GPS softwares: 1- GPS Mapsource Worldmap from Garmin, 2- GPS Trackmaker Pro v. 3.8 with maps downloaded from the net.

Any comments will be really appreciated.

Roberto Carlei.

If this is the case, how to connect Tinytrack to audio channel, since there is no audio connector output in Tinytrack2?

Yes there is. The connector pinout is shown on the TinyTrack docs. A two wire cable needs to connected from the TinyTrack to your Audio Input. I recall that Yb2Normal had to modify the TinyTrack's volume level pot circuit with a resistor change to optimize the amplitude for one of his installations; so be prepared to experiment if necessary.

How to translate audio signal via audio output from Blackwidowav (set 2) receiver to a computer protocol that can be reconized by GPS map software?

The most popular method is to connect the video Rx's audio channel to the PC's sound card. There are several software drivers that you can use to convert the audio tone into a virtual serial port. If your chosen PC does not support a standard sound card, and you are into home brew hardware, then you can omit the software driver and create a receive only 1200 baud modem with a Exar XR2211 IC.

Is it possible for Tinytrack3 also work with this configuration?, since Tinytrack2 has been discontinued?

It should work fine, but I have not tried it. According to the web site, it supports MIC-E, NMEA, and APRS ASCII text formats.

Hi Mr. RC-CAM,

Shearching for software drivers link you referred (www.ew.usna.edu) could not be found.

Do you think there is any typewriting error? Do you know any other source?

Regards,

carlei_aeromidia.