Sign in to follow this  
afineman

I blew the Flash Memory

Greetings all

I’m sure as you can see this is my first post ( been in the shadows for a while)

Looking to get my feet wet with AP, I bought another Slow Stick and a Mini PenCam 1.3 – Blue.

I did the servo replacement mod using a flip flop rather than the PIC.

Somehow (while testing it yesterday) I blew the Flash memory chip.

Now when powered, no beeps, and no lcd display, remove the memory board, power up, I get beeps, and ERR flashes, goes to what looks like normal, and works fine as a web cam.

I could not find a Samsung K9F2808U0B anywhere that would allow me to only buy 1.

But I did find a DigiKey the Toshiba replacement ( I think and the reason for this post)

I ordered this as a direct replacement (I hope) http://www.toshiba.com/taec/components/Dat...F1FT_030124.pdf

And I also ordered this, as an up grade ( I think)

http://www.toshiba.com/taec/components/Dat...FTI0_030325.pdf

Now for those of you in the know, will the 256 Meg chip work in the cam, or should I not even waist my time and just install the 128 meg chip.

I ask because as you know this will be a taxing repair, I will be doing this chip replacement using a microscope ( 48 pins that is surface mounted), and it is a job I would only like to do once.

Thanks fro any help

Brent

Before you tear things apart, it would be best to perform a Flash reformat & camera reset. This is done by installing fresh Alkaline batteries (don't use old ones) and then press the Mode button for several seconds until the camera indicates a reset. Repeat this several times if necessary. It may fix your problem.

Mr. RC-Cam

Thanks for the prompt reply, I had done that last evening, but I went back and did it again.

1:With fresh batteries, I closed the battery door, held the mode sw for 20 sec and nothing (no LCD and no beeps), I repeated this 5 times.

2:I then, did the same as above, but never disconnected the batteries.

I repeated this 5 times

I then did the same as above (#1), using the USB cable.

I then did the same as above (#2), using the USB cable.

And as a control, I removed the Flash memory, plugged in the USB cable ( it immediately woke up with beeps and LCD), held the mode sw, and with in 7 sec gave me a series of beeps ( the same as before the flash cooked).

So I think my conclusion is still sound, the flash is cooked.

Now how about the memory mapping, will the 256 meg chip work or should I stick with the 128 meg.

Thanks again for the help

Brent

Now how about the memory mapping, will the 256 meg chip work or should I stick with the 128 meg.

The I/O lines do not match on those two devices. I suggest you use the direct replacement.

Mr.RC-Cam

I had been researching all day, and I too at first thought the same thing, until I realized.

The Samsung I/O lines are numbered 0 to 7

Toshiba I/O lines are numbered 1 to 8

I think it is the same chip ( when I looked at the 2 pdf's side by side).

I was hoping I would catch someone who went this same route before.

OOHH well, I'll just try and post the results.

Thanks for the help

Brent

I see a number of pins that do not match up at all. For example, pins 26, 27, 28, 29, 40, etc.

Mr.RC-Cam

Maybe I should of included the Samsung PDF as well, this is the original chip in the pen cam

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconduc...08x0b_rev08.pdf

If you put that PDF side by side with this Toshiba one

http://www.toshiba.com/taec/components/Dat...FTI0_030325.pdf

You see the only difference is Toshiba names their first I/O channel #1, where Samsung names it #0

The 256 meg Toshiba chip

http://www.toshiba.com/taec/components/Dat...F1FT_030124.pdf

Can be configured to take an 8 bit word or a 16 bit word, just using the 8 bit connections, it looks the same as the Toshiba 128 meg chip.

Mr.RC-Cam I only posted this stuff to see if someone here had already done this/had the same problem.

I’ll let you know how I make out, good or bad

Brent

Edited by afineman

The 128MB looks the same. If the 256MB works out then please post all the details on how to perform the memory upgrade. It would certainly be great if it doubled the snapshot memory.

:rolleyes: Evening All

!!UPDATE!!

Good News: The Toshiba TC58DVM72A1FT-ND is a 128 meg direct replacement for the Samsung chip in this cam.

Good News: The Toshiba TC58DVM82A1FT-ND is a256 meg direct replacement / upgrade to the Samsung chip in this cam.

All chips are in stock at Digi-Key

Good News: (with the 256 meg chip) The cam takes 117 high quality pictures.

Item of Interest: above 60 pictures, the cam takes longer to store image, by the 100th picture it takes twice as long

Good News: The cam software will down load all the extra pictures.

Good News: the cam takes 1min 50 sec of hi quality AVI.

Bad News: this took me 3 hours to solider in place.

Bad News: this chip replacement can ONLY be done using a microscope.

Everyone, I had nothing to lose ( I blew the flash chip), But now knowing what it takes to upgrade this cam, I would never do it on a working cam.

SSOO for those of you who have the skill, the calm nerves, and desire this cam can be upgraded to at least 256 meg ( Toshiba has a 512 meg and a 1 gig that has the proper pin out).

I will be putting this cam on my most recent Slow Stick and trying out some AP with it.

Best of luck to any one who tries to do this, just 1 thing to remember, once you start you must finish, there is no turning back.

Later All

Brent

Hey All

Here it is mid July, I'm still using the same cam with the 256 meg up grade on my RC planes.

I was wondering if any one know if composite video is available any where on the pc board.

I ask because I have a small 1.2 Ghz cam, this cam has a Video board and a tx board, if composite video is available anywhere on this camera I want to put the 1.2 Ghz tx on the cam.

I will be able to use down linked video to frame the shots prior to taking them.

As always, thanks in advance for any help

Brent

{ E D I T } I just read the PDF on the Sunplus chip, no composite video out :angry: Thanks for reading any ways

Edited by afineman