Sign in to follow this  
ahab

message for PHILTHYY

Hi

Just out of interest what setup , ants etc do you use and what dropout rate and range are you getting

Ahab

Hi Ahab! Sorry about the long delay in replying. I've been out of town for the last week(Dover, DE actually) I am using the 90$ system with a ccd camera and the 400 mw transmitter which is supposedly running on 1.2 but I have heard that these systems often are actually on 1.16. I haven't been able to find any shop with a wireless frequency counter to verify this, so I haven't built a patch antenna yet. Just using the standard whip antenna. I'm tempted to build two patch antennas, one for 1.16 and one for 1.2 and test them both to find out what works and what frequency I'm really on. I have yet to get the system in the air, as I live in the frigid and crazy weather of the state of MI! I plan on using my GWS electric Slow Stick that I just built and a 11.1 V Li-Po to power the transmitter. I hope this plane with the stock motor can carry the extra weight. (I think its about a 1-3 ounce system) Anyway, as soon as we get a calm day, I'm going to fly and then I'l be sure to report back! Wish me luck!

Hi Philthyy

thanks for getting back to me. I "guestimated " that my setup was running at 1.16 so many folk have said that is the most likely so I made a patch ant scaling the 2.4 gHz one to suit

I found an F connector and soldered this to the reflector with a piece of copper wire suitable for the F socket soldered directly to the element

This gave me about twice the range as before.

Then I had a brainwave! I remember reading (maybe Here) that the optimum length for the TX whip is 65mm Mine was 110 so I did a ground test with a pal watching the monitor I walked away with the Tx. my pal held his arm in the air and wnen the picture started to fail he dropped his arm. I then lopped the TX ant to 65 mm and walked on another 75 yard before we lost signal again.

In tha air the results were really dramatic with an astounding increase in range still some dropout but in editable chuncks rather than great lumps.

I am looking to get a really good setup soon so I can take some "atmosheric" video from some of my own designed planes

feel free to check out my website at

www.alanmorgandesigns.co.uk

wow, sounds awesome, Ahab! I'm going to build a patch antenna for my system, which I now know operates on exactly 1.2 I'm hoping to get better range. I actually just flew my Slow Stick today, using a 3 cell 830mah Li-Po to power the stock motor and also the camera and transmitter. This unfortunately caused too much of a voltage drop and caused alot of "flicker" as I flew, so I don't really have a good idea of what my range will be with the stock whip antenna. I just ordered a brushless motor, and that will let me use two batteries. The 3 cell Li-Po for the camera exclusively and a seperate pack for the motor so I won't have the voltage drop issue. Someday I'll build a voltage regulator so I won't have to use two packs, but this setup should work in the meantime. I'm going to have to test out what you said you did with the antenna lenght also. Sounds promising. Good Luck!