patatras

USB power problem with still camera MD-40323 (Medi

Hello all,

I pruchased some time ago in Belgium a still image cam from the brand MEDION, model number 40323

it really looks like the aiptek 1.3 mini pencam - even in the inside - but has more menu options on the LCD screen (webcam icon)

i made the mods for powering the cam using the USB method (from the BEC power source) but then the cam enters the webcam mode (pc mode) and i cannot change this (cannot activate the picture mode)

i have not connected the PIC or other stuff, i first wanted to check the power mode was ok (connected power gnd to usb case and power + to usb pin 1)

is there's something i can do to solve this issue ?

i heard about someone who had to also connect power to other pins on the usb connector but couldn't find more info

any help is welcome

There is probably little that you can do. The Aiptek PenCams are unique in the way the USB interface works (they violate part of the USB specs). Even though your camera may have been made by Aiptek, it probably has different software.

If you cannot find a workaround then you could power it through the battery connection (use a 3V Voltage Reg). To mask the camera sleep issue, you could utilize a wakeup method as shown in the CamMan-Aiptek project (see battery powered hookup).

Hopefully you will discover something simple. Good luck.

thanks for the answer

as i'm not that good in electronics, i think i'm not able to build your project with the PIC controller ...

what I did is simply connect two wires on the 'take a picture' switch and use a remote micro switch commanded by a micro-servo. and this works perfectly (as long as the device is battery powered and does not entre sleep mode ...)

is there some place i can find the usage of the other pins of the usb plug ? i assume the other pins are used for data-exchange and trying to using them will then not solve the problem ...

the aiptek mini-pencam 1.3 and SD 1.3 are not available in europe

only an SD 2 Mpixels is available - is that model modable in the same way as the SD 1.3 ?

anyway, thanks for providing answers and congratulations for your web-site and its contents !!

cheers

patrick

The aiptek mini-pencam 1.3 and SD 1.3 are not available in europe only an SD 2 Mpixels is available - is that model modable in the same way as the SD 1.3 ?

Sadly, the SD 2 will enter the WebCam mode when powered by the USB port. The SD 1.3 is the one you want since it does not have this problem.

wel, i found a aiptek pencam from someone here

it is another model i can't find on aiptek websites

it's written 'mega pencam' on it, is black and has a 2.1 CMOS captor

(resolution 1600x ...)

it's working as desired when connected to the usb port

i just need to find a micro servo

thanks for your help

patrick