Sign in to follow this  
philthyy

Question for Ahab

I was wondering where you bought your Eyetek and how well they work. What are the specs on these goggles? I'm very interested in buying one if they will work with my setup and are reasonable priced. All the other goggles that I've seen have always been around 400-900 US dollars. That is simply WAY too much money to drop in one purchase. I'm currently using a 1985 Commadore 64 15inch color monitor to view my video in realtime as I fly. I have to use this setup becuase it has the analog, or RCA, style input plugs that match my RX. Does the Eyetek have these style input plugs also? These sound like the perfect way to fly using the monitor only, and that is my real goal with this wireless system.

Hi there

I bought my eyetrx on ebay for £77 although I have seen them for around £110 -£160

There are two types the 200 series and the more expensive 700 series I GOT THE 200 SERIES

the eyetrex goggle are fitted with phono type plugs so that they will accept a signal from almost any video and audio source I personally think they are great

ALL IN ALL A GREAT INVESTMENT - EVEN WORK ON ps2

Although they come with a mains adaptor I run mine from a 7.2 V buggy pack with a suitable plug

On its first trial I was flying around while my buddy was looking through the goggles and he started to feel nauseous . Its that realistic

The effect is a 56" screen about 2m in front of you and there are earphones fitted too

another bonus is that they have an adjustable nose piece so if you wear prescription glasses you can wear the eyetrex over the top

wow, they sound awesome! Thanks Ahab! I'm definately going to look into getting a set. 56 inch screen?!! SWEET!

Yes the FMD200 are nice, they are at the same level than Sony's PLM-A35.

I've been flying FPV with both of them, image quality is the same, except that on the Olympus ones there are more image settings than on the Sony ones. They are also lighter, for which if I had the choice between both I would choose the Olympus.

I definately plan on buying the goggles, but I wonder if they will be hard to find. Did you see many of them on Ebay when you bought yours? I haven't checked on Ebay yet, as I'm wondering if there is anybody on this board willing to part with thiers. I would rather buy from somebody here, than deal with Ebay, if at all possible.

Group leader is also looking for a pair they seem to be going for silly money at the moment £280!!!!! Dont forget if you are going to bid make sure you check if they are PAL we have been looking at UK Ebay perhaps there are more world wide

Can you tell me if the eye-trek or the PLM-A35 can be use under direct sunlight with only a hat or you need to add something around your eye to block sunlight because the display are not bright enough. If you have the shadow of a tree and wear a hat, it will be enough or you willl have to add something.

Also, I read that some people have nausea, or disorientation when they wear the headset. Can you stand up when you wear google or you need to stay on a chair to not fall on the ground...

I personally prefer to sit, and I put a shirt over my head with my PLM-A35. It's all a question of comfort. You could see without the shirt, but not so well, which reduces the immersion.

Sitting (simply on the ground) and cutting external light really allow you to concentrate on your flight at a level where you forget that you are actually not in the plane!

This may seem stupid, but not having to "think about staying on your feet" or moving around because you don't see well changes a lot.

I fly sometimes by watching the LCD of the camcorder, it's not a problem and I can fly like this for lots of time, but it's different - nice, but "without the peanuts".

That feeling is difficult to explain, the best thing is to try!

Edit: I would say that the benefit of using video goggles is to allow seeing nothing but the video image, to hide what is actually surrounding you. If it's not the case then a good LCD does the same job...

Edited by Kilrah

I already use I-glasses, but It look that I'm the only one who have installed tint plexiglass to be able to see outside. But effectively it's like watching a monitor. My goal was to stay up and be able to see other members and other planes around me. I was new in this hobby( never fly planes before)and to fly in the club it was neccessary to follow basic rule to be accept by other people with this new way of flying. But anyway, now I never fly in r/c club and I sit on a chair with the shadow of a tree, it's a lot more confortable this way. I will add something to try total immersion like you, but I will miss the telemetry data rec'd on my Seagull, now I just take a look under the I-glasses screen and see data.

I will cut a window in my t-shirt to see the Seagull :P

Hehe :lol:

Actually I've flown a couple of times with a friend's PLM-S700s (they have adjustable transparency), and at first I thought this would be nice to be able to see both the inside and outside view. Big mistake, absolutely unusable. You just can't follow and concentrate on such different foints of view. That's funny to note that, because when you're flying FPV you exactly know where you are and usually can find the plane very fast if you remove the goggles. So you can link both, but not in real-time :D

So I ended up fetching my good old black T-shirt again :P

The enhanced resolution definitely is a comfort, you start to enjoy your time looking around and watching the scenery, like you would do in the big one. That's an advantage of having a plane that's easy to fly, with dual-rates so you can fly really smoothly :)

If the camera is mounted on a servo it's even better.

That's what I was expecting of the whole thing, and thus I enjoy every flying session, which do not take place so often but nearly every time with those little improvements that make our hobby ;)

Edit: I also always fly like this out of official fields for simplicity reasons (field near the workshop...). But here people don't seem to be hostile to the practice. At least they always find the idea of putting cameras interesting, and nobody ever told me anything when I was watching the screen on the ground near my feet during a few seconds :)

Edited by Kilrah