Sign in to follow this  
randall1959

Need help with crt hookup

I got this really small viewfinder today and I know it works, but the cord that powers it and feeds the video into it is gone. The wires were all the same color anyway, but I forgot to have the fellow test to see which wire was the hot, ground, or video.

The plug has seven contacts. Let's say the first contact on the left is Number 1.

Does anyone possibly know what number connector I would find the hot, ground, and video input?

It came from a JC Penney's vhs recorder. There is a number on the end of the circuit board. I'm providing pictures in case anyone should know.

Anyways, it's free so I can afford to experiment a little. Thanx for any help anyone can give me with this thing.......

post-6-1113001229_thumb.jpg

This is a tough one. From what I can see, all that board has on it is the High Voltage section and some incidental stuff. I don't see a CRT controller chip. Without that you have only half a monitor. Did you see this work without being plugged into the camcorder's board?

A good way to tell if the board is worth salvaging is to trace the deflection coil wiring (Yel, Blu, Grn, Red) and see where they go. If do not go to some beefy transistors or an IC, then there is not much you will be able to do without the controller board.

Here's that plug you mentioned. See anything familiar? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to actually knowing what is what with these things.

post-6-1113012304_thumb.jpg

I don't see all the stuff that I would expect to be present on a complete monitor board. Some VERY clear photos of the top and bottom would be best.

Ok. I'll try to get some better photos this weekend. I was able to get the crt to light up but haven't been able to get a picture to show when I hook any of the wires up to a video source. It just lights up very brightly but doesn't do anything else. I was able to find out that it's from a Panasonic OmniMovie VHS HQ camcorder.

post-6-1113023090_thumb.jpg

Edited by randall1959

If the entire CRT screen "lights up" then that is a sure sign that the CRT controller IC is on the board. Too bad you can't get the video to work for you.

Yea I don't know what the deal is. When I hook up any of the other five wires to the AV out of my mustek I get no picture. Just white. And the brightness knob seems to have no effect at all. It might be even that something is wrong with the board somewhere. I'll have to fiddle with it later and see what I can find out.

Ok, here's what I have so far. I've found the power wire and the ground. I've also found that my av cable has to also ground to the crt, through the common ground wire. I've also found the AV input wire.

Now, when I hook up my video source, which is my mustek DV 4000, which I know works, I get what appears to be a very fast rolling effect on the crt.

There are two small screws on the end of the board that are unlabled, but these only appear to affect brightness and contrast.

There also appears to be two rings of some sort around the crt, but they are painted, like there's some setting that needs to be maintained.

Are these the vertical and horizontal hold adjustments?

If so, what is the procedure for eliminating the paint? Heat?

I know the input I have is video, as I can run my hand in front of the camera and the crt goes dark till I remove it.

Or, am I possibly overdriving the AV input and need a resistor of some sort?

Thanx for any ideas on this. If I could just get this to work it might come in handy as a viewfinder for my AP.

There also appears to be two rings of some sort around the crt, but they are painted, like there's some setting that needs to be maintained.

Those are the CRT centering rings. You do not touch those.

Remove power and disconnect the video source. Take your ohmmeter and measure across the Video input connections. What resistance do you measure?