Sign in to follow this  
randall1959

Head mounted monitor and receiver.

This is an idea I've been working on for the last few weeks. For starters, I used a "peanut" style motorcycle helmet. It's compact and lightweight and devoid of holes and sculptured surfaces.

I mounted my 2.4 ghz receiver and GP patch antenna to the top of the helmet, so as to always have it aimed at the modified Kadet Senior that I use for AP and AV.

Then I attached a mounting block to the side of the helmet and bolted an aluminum arm onto the mount for a 2.5" TFT monitor I found on Ebay.

Since both the monitor and the receiver run off 12 volts, I use a 10 cell 1800 ma pack to power them.

I never much cared for the idea of flying under the hood, but I have been wanting a good way to aim my nikon and this works perfectly. The monitor is easy to see even in sunlight, due to the fact that it's set vertically and doesn't have the sun shining directly onto it.

I can flip a switch on the side of the plane to switch from my Nikon 3700 to my on board CCD bullet camera with pan servo.

If I want, I can still run an av cable to my tv set for times when there are crowds like the science fair I'll be flying at next week.

I like the idea of having the plane and the monitor a glance away from each other. All I have to do is line up with my intended AP subject and glance down at the monitor for the correct time to flip the shutter switch.

post-6-1114133138_thumb.jpg

Wow, now I understand why any resistance is futile!

I wont be able to stop making one for my wireless camera too. And since I'm on 1.2 GHz my antena will get twice as big as yours!

You might add some shadow to the monitor..

cezar

I put a small plastic box around it a while back. Since I've found a digital camera that has continuous shooting I don't use it that much but a lot of people want to wear the helmet while I'm doing AP so it's still cool B)

I did some AP for a fellow from work, on his home, and he wore the helmet and told me where to fly from for the best shots. That has become a selling point as it allows who I'm shooting for to have a hand in the final outcome.

I've also found that since I'm recording from the digital camera, a perfect signal isn't that important because I don't fly from the camera anyway. My digital camera will record 640X480 (vhs quality) video at thirty frames pers second. Since I found that out, I took the patch antenna off. That way whoever is wearing the helmet doesn't have to follow the plane. When I'm doing AP I'm not that far up or out anyway and my video equipment works pretty well out to reasonable distances. People really get a kick out of wearing that helmet, haha.

The helmet has simply become a viewfinder. The digital camera does all the work. If you build one, put it on some neighborhood kid. You'll get a real charge out of hearing what comes out of their mouths, hahaha.

The monitors are pretty cheap. You can find all kinds of TFT and LCD monitors for around fifty dollars. Most receivers are 12 volts so get a monitor that runs off that and you just need one battery pack. Mine has a hook that slips on my belt.

Anyways, if you need any answers feel free to pm or email me.

post-6-1120538670_thumb.jpg

Edited by randall1959