I want to use a cheap web camera with usb interface as "viewfinder"

for an old film photo camera for KAP to preview. Do anybody have experience

how to grab still image from web camera using microcontroller, and which protocol

is better to use to send a still image using radiotransmitter ?

Thanks

Dmitry

I seem to remember this comming up before and if I remember correctly its a very hard job to use a web cam. The best way by far is to use a live 2.4ghz video link like the rest of us (maybe a few 1.1 or 1.2ghz users).

Terry

Yep, to use a webcam you'll have to setup a USB host, which is relatively complicated and needs dedicated hardware. That's not talking about transmission... Terry is right, the good ol' analog solution is still far easier (and might be quite cheaper also...)

Edited by Kilrah

hello.

Thanks for your answers.

It's more difficult for me to make(or to buy) a 2.4Ghz rx and tx. I tried to use

chinese wireless video system, it's range was about 50 meters. I have narrow

band duplex rf modules from cordless phone.

So, i have two ways: to digitize a video signal from small analog video camera,

and to grab picture from web camera and then transmit a still image(let's take several seconds).

Thanks anyway

Dmitry

I would have a go at increasing the range of the chinese system you have by making a better aerial for the receiver. if the range is 50m now Im sure you could treble that with a bit of work. How high dose your kite go ? I cant help with the circuit for grabbing and transmitting except I know it has been done by this man johnuf-AT-surfy.net I cant find his web site anymore but he may be able to help.

Terry

Since you will be using a kite, which is basically a more or less stationary object, I'd look into a yagi antenna. A GP Patch antenna would be cheaper to build so you might want to start with that first. You can build a GP antenna for around ten bucks and they work beautifully :D