Sign in to follow this  
randall1959

Problem viewing with wireless system.

If I use my wireless system to view my AP with my nikon or using the onboard CCD camera, I get this weird dark band across my TFT monitor on my helmet. It's like the image is darker in a line across the center.

If I hook the monitor directly up to the vcr in my house the picture is perfect. Is it possible that my video rx or tx is malfunctioning or has some compatibility issue?

If I use my nikon to take pics or record video there is no such line across the downloaded pics and videos.

I'm kinda perplexed as to what the problem could be.

Could be unstability of the TX' power supply. What are you using?

I'm running the power from a freshly charged 1800 ma 10cell pack. That's never been a problem before. I've been running this whole setup since last fall and this is a new occurance.

Yeah, no problem with this.

It will sound strange, but just try again in a few days :blink:

Once we went to a meeting, and we had the same problem, 2 sorts of thick lines that were horizontally offset. We changed the TX, then the RX also, no way. We reused the same gear a week later, never seen that problem again!

I never understood anything about this :wacko:

Also try the RX on another monitor...

I've only tried this at my home so I don't know if this is the possible source, but we did get two new 2.4 ghz phones a while back. I tried unhooking the main cradle for the number 1 phone, but I never thought about taking the batteries out of both phones and I'm wondering if they send out a signal whether the phones are in use or not. I think that will be my next test. I'll take the batteries out of the phones so they are completely disabled and try that. I'll let you all know what I find.

I completely disabled both phones and the cradle and I get the same dark band across the monitor. Oh well, at least I tried :angry:

The odd thing is that this only happens when the plane is outdoors. When I test it inside my metal shed there is no problem. It's only when the plane is outside that it's an issue. It has to be some sort of interference. Now I just have to find out what the interference is. I've tried all four freq's on both the tx and the rx with the same result.

Have you tried at a certain distance? Could be that the RF signal is too strong and saturates the receiver :unsure:

Is the rest of the picture normal or especially bright?

I took the plane out of town a ways and I got an interesting result. The band has moved to the bottom of the picture in the monitor. In the shop I can put the whole mess on one table and get an absolutely clear picture. It only does it outdoors. I've wondered about light issues but this is the same setup I've been using since last fall, with no problems.

So I'm guessing it has to be some sort of new rf that has moved into the area. Maybe something the govt has put up like they do to monitor phone switching equipment. I'm baffled.

I'm almost to the point of just ordering a whole new video setup but I'm not quite there yet.

What happens when you switch the Tx and Rx to another frequency? What happens when you use it outdoors in low light settings such as dusk or dawn?

It does the same in any frequency but in low light conditions that line appears to go away. In bright light I get the line whether I use my Nikon 3700 to view or my ccd camera.

Indoors with the lights on no matter how bright I don't get a line. Only outdoors.

Edited by randall1959

A fixed video line/band that does not change as you try the system's other RF frequencies hints to me that the interference is synchronous with the video's frame rate. My gut feeling is that it is not external. Instead, I think something within your installation is causing it.

It does the same in any frequency but in low light conditions that line appears to go away. In bright light I get the line whether I use my Nikon 3700 to view or my ccd camera.

Interesting, that's why I was asking you about light.

Could be that either the TX or RX saturates because of the video level being too high. Or actually its sensitivity setting. There usually is a potentiometer inside both TX and RX that will adjust the video level. Try to locate it, note the current setting and try to reduce sensitivity, on the TX first, and see if it goes better.

I used to adjust it slightly more sensitive with CMOS cams to get a brighter picture. But then when the picture is light the image also gets distorted.

What is the brand of your wireless system?

Oh, how stupid I am, I'm giving solutions to my problems without even noticing it :o

I did some tests with my 620-line CCD and others to compare the results with very strong light some time ago. The 620-line behaved very well, with just a white line, where all the others were giving all white screens when pointing directly to the sun. I did these tests directly on a monitor, without passing through the wireless system.

When we flew this week-end we had one of these 620-line CCDs (not the very same one), but we had whiteouts. Maybe it's the same problem, related to the TX' sensitivity, will have to check this out! :blink:

There might also be an output level setting on the camera, it's quite often the case...

on top of the board in the tx, there's a tiny silver phillips head looking screw. Could that be it? I don't see anything other than a screw next to the power jack on the tx. It's a straight slot screw on a tiny plastic square. I'm pretty certain that's for adjusting voltage and not anything else.

Here are two photos. In the first photo is the tx. There are two flat tip screws at the top, which I am pretty sure are voltage related. Then, in that same section is a phillips screw in a small square at the bottom right of the section. Those are the only three adjustments I can find.

In the second photo are two screws at the top. Since these are very near the voltage in and voltage out I'm pretty sure those are voltage related as well. Any ideas guys?

post-6-1115182748_thumb.jpg

Edited by randall1959

EUREKA!!!!!!!

The small silver phillips head screw was it. I turned it one way and got a line across the screen. Then I turned it back the other way and the line went away completely. I figured I couldn't screw it up anymore than it was so I took a chance and I think I found the problem. Now I just have to wait till daylight and see if that's really it.

Sorry, was sleeping ;)

The flat-screwed components are more likely to be adjustable caps.

Yep, the phillips ones must be it.

The location does not mean a lot, if you look under the PCB you'll find that the conections with the can are at the side. But the VR should not be in the HF part but closer to the in/output.

Let me know if it's better!

BTW I know these TX, is it the 100mW or the 1.5W version?

A friend had bought a set (1.5W), and it didn't work. I had a look inside, and the HF part (shielded module) had 10 unsoldered pins :blink:

It worked much better once soldered :P

Edited by Kilrah

Mine is the 1.5 watt version. You're right about the adjusment being near the input/output side. When I turned the screw clockwise I got the weird line even indoors, but when I turned it back counter clockwise the line went away. I'll have to fine tune it in the morning in the daylight. I might melt some wax over it to hold it in position once I get it just right. Thanx for your help, guys

That must have been it. :) I took the plane outdoors this morning and did a little more fine tuning and viola! The line went away completely and stays away when I transition from the CCD camera to the Nikon. :D

Cool, nice to hear that!

Now I'll have to check if I can use the same solution :lol:

Edited by Kilrah

Forgive me as this is not related to the topic,but Kilrah mentioned a 620line CCD camera in some of his post's on this topic.Can you give me any details,Kilrah, as I'm looking for a new CCD to replace my 480 line Sony.

Cheers Lyn.

Edited by Johnstorm