Mr.RC-Cam

Next Generation A/P Camera Controller

did you want the 47k resistor connected from rssi to ground with the voltmeter in parallel to the resistor or the resistor connected to the rssi, then to the meter, and the meter connected to ground in a series.

The good news is that I won't be needing the measurement information. The latest V3.2 firmware has been modified so that the user can set their own RSSI thresholds. The old profile methods have been eliminated since they are no longer needed.

Well, just in case anyone is interested, I get the same readings of RSSI with the new TP and TK modules. They both use the same output transistor so I guess that comes as no suprise.

Also, I got to use the min/max/avg buttons of my Fluke meter for the first time while measuring RSSI! :) Small stuipid things make me happy...

-dave

Hi Mr. Rc-Cam,

Please forgive me for my ignorance,but on

page # 5 of the new installation docs. does

pin 4 of the RS-232 port change what it does

between the record output and the NMEA output?

Or is pin 3 of the Db 9 also a Gnd. ? And am I

thinking correctly in that the NMEA sentence output

is where you can get GPS data on the fly?

Thanks

Midwest-Flyer

does pin 4 of the RS-232 port change what it does between the record output and the NMEA output?

The buffered NMEA output is actually on Pin-2 of the 4-pin header. Ground is Pin-4. The NMEA connector details are in the paragraph at the bottom of Installation Guide page 5.

Your board is a Rev A. Your connector pinouts are "reversed," so be sure to identify ground first, then go from there.

And am I thinking correctly in that the NMEA sentence output is where you can get GPS data on the fly?

That is correct. You'll get native NEMA-0183 data that has convenient RS-232 signal levels. I suppose the TinyTrak and RCAP users will be interested in that. :) You can confirm the sentences are being sent by using the Windows Hyperterminal utility.

No problem. I posted the Inspire FAQ document today. In it is a photo of the production board's (Rev D) external RS-232 connector pinout. It might help you a bit more with identifying the RS-232 signals. Although your board is a Rev A, visually the pin ID's are the same.

REV-A & REV-C BOARD UPDATES FOR BETA USERS:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Bootloader Mods:

Rev A: The Rev A boards will need a slight modification to use the bootloader feature. Specifically, resistor value at R37 (1.5K or 3.3K, depending on GPS used) needs to be relocated. Remove it and place the same value resistor across pads JP2 (0805 SMD footprint, solder side of the board).

Rev C: The Rev C board will need to install a 10K resistor across location JP2 (0805 SMD footprint, component side of the board).

Edit: Bootloader instructions should be available at the next major firmware release.

External GPS (Geko 201) Mod, REV C only:

Rev C: To use the Geko 201 GPS receiver, the Rev C boards will need capacitor C24 removed. It is a SMD part in the corner near the GPS cable.

Edited by Mr.RC-Cam

I finally had some time to do some trouble shooting to get rid of my glitching problems. In no particular order of significance, I did the following:

1) shorten all the wires to the absolute minimum

2) removed my rubber duck antenna and went with a 6m band telescopic (I'm on 50Mhz)

3)added a few inches to the Rx antenna

4) changed settings from failsafe mode to last good frame hold when bad frames are encountered on the FMA FS8

Here is a quick and short vid of a glitch free flight. I was using BlackWidowAV's new diversity rx. Pretty cool device.

http://www.bijouxdesigns.com/video/osdgps2sml.wmv

Mr. RC-CAM, can I post this video elsewhere? You said you wanted to keep this under the lid for a while...

It's great to see the glitches are gone. Good job! Thanks for sharing the video.

I didn't see the R/C signal icon in your display. Was Inspire's R/C cables plugged into your receiver during your flight?

Mr. RC-CAM, can I post this video elsewhere? You said you wanted to keep this under the lid for a while...

No problem -- go ahead and post your videos at other sites.

BTW beta testers, please do not share any of the technical docs that was provided. {All of the "public" info is available on the dpcav.com web site.}

Good News: My vendor delivered the Inspire boards. So they are now available for sale. :)

Edited by Mr.RC-Cam

Nope, sorry, I did not connect the RSSI to Inspire. In my effort to reduce glitching, I removed all non-essentials. However, the signal strength meter is next on my to do list.

-dave

Nope, sorry, I did not connect the RSSI to Inspire.

Actually I was referring to Inspire's two servo cables. Were they plugged into the R/C Rx?