cameraman

Question for Wiring a 2.4Ghz system

:unsure: Hi Everyone:

I have a question for wiring a 2.4Ghz System regarding the wire AWG that should be used. I thought I read somewhere that there is a minimum guage wire that should be used to reduce RF noise. I wired a system with 24 AWG Wire and it seemed fine, but I wanted to reduce the size to 28 AWG becuase it it lighter and more flexible. The components in the system are a small Sony CCD a 11.1v, 480mAh Lithium Polymer Battery and a 200MW Transmitter.

Thank you for any advice that you can give.

Best,

There is no single answer. If the 28AWG works for you then you are on your way. However, if you run into noise/interference issues then keep in mind that low impedance power paths are needed to help minimize the EMI/RFI. That is done by using heavier wire and shortest possible lengths. It is all a matter of trying what you want to use and seeing what happens.

Frankly, if it was me, all the power wires would be * at least * 24 AWG and kept very short. Perhaps under 5" or so. A/V signal wires can be smaller gauge, but they should be short too. If longer wires are needed then just minimize them as best as possible.

Oh dear, I'm not sure I wanted to learn this! On my plane the camera is mounted near the polyhedral break, and I'm glad that in my ignorance I ran the wires all the way back to the fuselage (about 16"). I would have been hard put to balance the plane without adding a lot of weight if I had put the video TX and battery out by the camera!

I did twist the video and video ground together, and the camera power and power ground together -- pretty much letting my experience with Cat5 and Cat6 cable be my guide. That stuff (Cat6 cable) works at much higher frequencies than what we encounter here, even in video.

That stuff (Cat6 cable) works at much higher frequencies than what we encounter here, even in video.

The CAT5/CAT6 works well in PC data comm apps because it handles low level differentially driven signals.

Keep in mind that wireless video EMI/RFI problems, if present, are not just sourced from composite video. The microwave RF from the video transmitter will often be conducted throughout the wiring too. The typical R/C Rx is not well equipped to deal with excessive RF interference, especially since it is just a few inches away. So, be careful with the installation.

If an installation can be cautious then that is the route I would suggest. When the requirements do not allow it, then don't be alarmed if some EMI/RFI suppression will be needed.