Sign in to follow this  
philthyy

powering cam and plane with Li-Po?

I'm using a 3s 830mah Li-Po pack to power my camera and transmitter, and a seperate 9.6 V Ni-Mh to power the plane. While this works, it is a very heavy setup, and I would like to power both the plane and camera off of the Li-Po's. I've tried it once, but the image had white lines across it and general "fuzziness" the entire time I was powering the motor. If I throttled totally off, the picture became sharp and clear. I initially thought this was because of the voltage drop from the motor draw, but now that I'm wondering if it was more likely some form of EF noise transmitted through the power wires? And if so, how can I clean up the power supply to the camera so I can fly using just one pack? Or would it just be simpler to use a tiny lightweight Li-Po pack(I already have a 340 2s) and a 12v regulator to power the camera and use the 3s 830 to power the plane?

The problem is usually due to the influence of the motor envoked voltage ripple. If your camera/Tx requires 9-12VDC, then a 3S Lipo source {that is shared with the ESC/motor} will not work without a lot of effort. For example, you could use a DC-DC VReg (SEPIC or boost design) to provide a stable voltage of about 14V, then linear Vreg it down to 9VDC or 12VDC for your video gear.

To keep it simple and effective, a dedicated pack is not a bad idea.

I've used a camera that has a built-in 5v Vreg from the same 3s Li-po battery than the motor for quite some time. Even with the regulator I had lines. A way to reduce that is to put a big capacitor (I had a 220uF electrolytic) near the camera. It was much better, but you could still see a little something at full throttle.

Now when I need something light I use a tiny 250mAh Lipo. the 2s one is only 15gr.

yeah, I think I'm going to get a 12v reg and use my 340 2s pack to provide a constant, stable voltage for the camera and transmitter. It will still be much lighter than the two packs I'm currently using, and will free up the 3s 830 to power the motor. That will give me much greater power and runtime than the 9.6v 700mah Ni-Mh pack I'm currently using to power the motor and RX. I followed a link Mr.RC-Cam posted to a site that sells exactly what I need for only 15 dollars! Thanks guys!