Sign in to follow this  
troller

Levitron

I have an idea that would incorporate some already made RC-CAM projects and some new ideas.

Have you seen the Levitron? It's a magnetic base, that has a small circular magnet that levitates above the base.

The idea I have is to add a small motor that would make the smaller magnet continue spinning for an indefinite time.

The idea is to get the smaller magnet spinning and thus making sure that the vertical stability continues. The horizontal stability would be handled by the balance of the base and making sure it is level.

The small electronic cars that the RC-CAM project utilizes, looks like it might work. The battery and small motor need to fit on the smaller circular magnet in a way that it will stay in it's needed position, without too much vibration due to the motor spinning and will be balanced so that it stays in place spinning and not moving haphazardly around.

Here is the theory behind the Levitron...

The base consists of a solid base that is adjustable to level the base. It has three legs that can be extended or shortened. The base has a circular magnet inside. The magnet has magnetic b lines that extend around this circular magnet. It basically goes upward, around and down around the circular magnet. The magnet is sitting flat. I think there is some copper in this equation to stabilize this b line energy.

The smaller circular magnet that will sit on top of the base, is spun, at a certain rpm that allows it to gain virtical stabililty. Just like a top spinning. The horizontal stability is gain by picking up this spinning top to a height that can be cushioned on these b lines I discussed earlier. (There is a plastic base that sits on top of the main base that can be lifted... the top is spun on top of this plastic base and it is lifted till it can be balanced on the b lines and then the plastic base is taken away carefully, so that the top is left spinning, levitating on top of the main base.)

The Levitron even with a magnetic motor only last for a maximum of 30 days. For some reason or another!?!?! I was thinking that if we could put the motor on the top, perhaps it could last longer. Also, this would make for an early experiment in making a levitating object that can follow the b lines of the earth.... well, in theory at least!!!

If someone is familar with the Levitron or search the web for it, you will see what the base and top look like. Is it possible to make the top into a motorized top that spins?

The magnets are the most important parts. The motor will help in stabilization. Perhaps it can be remote controlled so that it can be made to spin faster or slower.

Note, the b lines are circular in nature. So that at anytime if the spinnng top happens to touch an edge where the b line(s) starts to go down, the top will slide off the b line and fall.... this is not desired. The balance of the top must be within the b lines. Imagine a fountain of water spraying upwards. The top would be balanced in the middle of the water flow. If it happens to move to far to the edge, the top falls to the ground... in a hurry!!!