Sign in to follow this  
Terry

Time Base Sinc

Dose anyone know how to make a gadget to replace missing time base pulses so that the video remains valid when the signal drops out ?

I want to edit some old test flight video I did some time back but it keeps loosing sinc when the signal breaks up. I have been looking at the 1881 and I think it should be a simple job for someone that knows what they are doing, unfortunatly I dont :rolleyes:

Terry

What you intend to do is probably more complicated than it seems. If the video signal is not too mangled, then a full featured timebase corrector might work in your situation. They cost from $500 to $5K. But, there are some on eBay (albeit a risky purchase): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

However, there are other ways to attack this. If your main complaint is that your video capture device takes too long to recover when it encounters brief video sync loss, then you might want to try another video capture product. Or, perhaps try copying the bad tape to another digital camcorder -- some may have internal circuitry to maintain sync timing.

The video capture card I'm now using and recommending for laptops is the following: http://www.aver.com/products/tvtuner_avert...v_cardbus.shtml

(There might be a difference between the European and US version, don't know but mine also supports NTSC).

It's the first one I've tested that really satisfies me. No noticeable delay and doesn't care about dropouts neither in viewing nor in recording mode. For the first time it's really giving the same results than a TV for display. The software allows MPEG2 recording, which I use, as well as AVI Windows codec-based encoding.

Really a good field companion :)

Wow....thats expesive kit just to keep the video in sinc. Your right I did under estimate the task :o

I may well go for the unit Kilrah uses.

When I first thought about it I was thinking the basics would be simular to an r/c fail safe but it seems there is more to it ...

Terry

Any comments on this would be welcme.

http://www.cypltd.co.uk/ctb100.html

Terry

Be careful, I/Os are S-Video, if you have a composite source you'll have a very noticeable quality loss if you use a simple adaptor cable. There are active converters, which are again awfully expensive...

My old capture card only had S-Video in, it's usable but the quality loss would more than compensate tha benefit of the synchronisation...

Well, it has the necessary I/O, but now about performance I can't tell you anything...

OK, thats fine, I just wanted you to have a look at it and see if anything looked wrong to you. I may give it a try in a few weeks when I recover from the cost of my holiday...

Terry