philthyy

recording my flights on computer?

I really want to record my flights on my computer so I can archive and burn them to disk to give to friends. The only problem is the fact that my computer has no RCA style input plugs. I have seen "video capture" boards that plug into an empty PCI slot and let you save camcorder video to your hard drive. Would this work? I don't have tons of cash, so I'm trying to find a way to do this cheaply. Any ideas?

Yep, just find a TV tuner PCI card and here you go. Make sure it has a composite video input, as some only have S-Video.

Thanks Kilrah! After I record some flights, I'll be sure to post 'em! (As soon as I learn how to do that! :)

If you are taping the flights with a video camera on the ground, and it has Firewire (IEEE 1394) output and your computer has Firewire input, you can connect them together directly without having to buy a video capture card.

Edited by bluegill

I am currently not recording the flights at all(except burned permanently into my memory:) I think I can get a video capture board that will do the trick for about thirty dollars, so that will be the best way to go for now. Whats interesting is the fact that my computer graphics card has an output so that I can view any image from the computer on whatever TV screen I want. So if I want, I can record the video to my computer, than play it back on a 60 inch plasma or something! That would be sweet, unless the resolution would be horrible at that size? I think my camera is only a 380 line unit, so it might not look all that good at that size...

You mention using a PCI card, which implies you will be recording on a desktop (as contrasted to a laptop) computer. I'm used to being out in an open area 1/4 mile from parking -- obviously you will be flying from an area close to a wall plug! That's what is so great about this hobby -- each person uses it in such different ways that we get blasted out of our pre-conceived mindsets.

Anyway, now you understand why I thought you might be recording to tape -- a videocam is much easier to lug a quarter mile than a destop and attendant extension cord.

I wish I could use a laptop, but don't have one just yet. Its definetly on the horizon, though. All of my flights have been at home, as I don't have a portable screen(like a laptop) yet. I dream about being truly portable, though, as it seems like it would be really neat to take it to a beach and fly over the lake. Or take it when I go camping and explore...there are so many places I would take it! This aspect of the hobby, using wireless cameras on aircraft, has always been my dream, and now I'm finally doing it and its more fun than I had even imagined!

Hi,

Can I mention the Mustek PVR-A1 again?

Pros: Very small (you can even carry it onboard if the plane is a reasonable size)

Cheap (Cheapest price I've seen in the UK is about £80 - www.cpc.co.uk)

Complete with USB lead and software to connect to any USB equipped PC

Can use Windows Explorer to transfer files from PVR-A1

Uses SD memory cards

Is is also an MP3 and jpg player

Same resolution (I think) as the cheaper video grabbers I've tried eg Dazzle DVC80

Cons: Low resolution (340x220)

Software is not fantastic but it does the job (only need to transfer files from PC to the PVR)

The best, most practical, solution in my opinion is a good digital camcorder with analogue input because of the quality of the capture and then the ease of transfer and editing on the PC.

However if budget is your main driver then it's got to be the PVR!

(No - I have no connection with Mustek other than as a satisfied customer ....)

I like idea of a digital, carried onboard recorder. Then the image would be perfectly clear because I wouldn't have the occasional static from the video downlink. The Mustek sounds like a good way to go for now, although I think I'll end up getting a video capture board anyway. My camera isn't all that high of a resolution anyway, so it will serve my needs quite nicely. That is, until I get my 480 line camera! Then I'll be getting my digital camcorder at the same time too.

Micro WIreless offers a 2.4GHz. system that now has a four channel receiver with both NTSC and USB output. Since their writeup in one of the recent RC mags they have been back ordered until late in the month. I eagerly await delivery for use in my eSenior Telemaster.

Are you sure it offers decent quality? These usually only output 352x288 video...

The ability to outuput directly to USB sounds awesome...but like kilrah said, is the quality there? If you're first getting into this aspect of the hobby, then it might be perfect for you...until you start wanting better and better :lol:

Hey Philthyy

I just purchased a mobile DVR that will connect to my receiver and record my flights. I can then download to my PC via USB. It was $160 including shipping. I haven't received it yet but when I do I'll show some pics and vids. I contemplated getting a power inverter for my car and running my PC out the back but I think this will be much easier. If it dosen't work well, this little unit also works as an mp3 player etc.. we'll see. Icarus

Hey Icarus, definitly let us know how it works for you. What setup are you using(TX,RX, TX power output etc) What camera, what plane? Sorry for all the questions but I am always interested to see what everybody is flying. Maybe I should start a thread where everybody posts their setups?