Hi all,

I'm a tad confused about the de facto standard for SMA connectors on video TX/RXs. What specific type of SMA connector does 2.4GHz video gear usually have? There are some cheap dipoles available at the local electronics store, but they're terminated with a 'reverse SMA connector'. Should reverse SMA be avoided for the sake of compatibility?

Cheers,

-TheOtherRob

A reverse coupler would be like your car having a + ground system. A normal SMA connector has the center wire as the signal and the threaded part is the ground or reflector. Avoid a reversed SMA antenna.

Im not sure if I fully understand your question but all the 2.4ghz units I have used over the years have the same type of SMA connector. Could you post some pictures ?

As for the dipoles, I make my own and surgest you give it a try. I have tested a few and the results from some are not very good so you have nothing to loose.

Terry

In the connector world, there are a couple of SMA designations.

Specifically, RPSMA (reverse polarity SMA) consists of the pins being swapped in the male/female SMA housings. These connectors are considered non-standard and used on devices where the FCC or other regulating agencies do not want antennas swapped out easily.

Simply put, an RPSMA connector will not mate electrically with an SMA. Either, parts will be in the way, or they will screw together and not make electrical contact.

Michael