Sign in to follow this  
Vrflyer

Seagull telemetry system

Hi I'm back on the internet.

I was disconect from the internet since two years, this is why I disappear for so long. (Sorry for my poor english, but I'm french, I will do my best...)

I received my Seagull flight system last week and because I was on vacancy, I had plenty of time to try it.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...0001p?&I=LXJDF2

I attach the dashbord on my transmiter and received live telemetry data from the planes, I presently receive altitude, airspeed, motor temperature, motor speed, battery voltage, climbrate(variometer), seagull transmiter signal strenght and servos(4) motor position. I have the possibility to add another temperature sensor, battery current monitoring, 2 axes g-force and fuel tank level ( it an home project, dont try to find info on it...). I can set an audible alarm for each of the above parameter, I choose the trigger point and I choose which way the alarm will sound. With the alarm, I don't even need to check the dashboard when I fly, Seagull system is monitoring all these data and will alarm me if something wrong happens. This is usefull to fly under the hood.

The dashboard have an USB connector for the programmation of the display and the alarm, but it also serve in live mode, the data received from the dashboard are feed to the laptop, and on the laptop screen we can see an altimeter, airspeed indicator, variometer, simulation of artificial horizon etc, we can even see the position of the joystick. I don't have a laptop, so was not able to try this on the field, but at home, the planes on the ground, I was able to see on my computer screen the joystick movement and some parameter, everything look to work fine.

Onboard the planes the very little box where all the connector are attach have two pressure sensor and also a flight recorder... All the parameter are recorded inside this "black box" and when I'm back home I can download these data and see on the computer screen 40 last minute of flight. It can help after a crash...

The variometer don't work correctly, it can not follow my planes ascension or descent, but I think it beacause I fly 3D or acrobatic all the time, and it certainly note design to follow very rapid variation of altitude. Perhaps if I fly scale planes and do normal ascension/descent I will be able to use it.

900 Mhz transmiter use to transmit data interfere with the planes receiver, I sheild the 900 Mhz Tx and the planes receiver and I also try to find a location on the planes where it does not affect the planes reception, but I still have a little movement on the servos. My range test on the ground is good, and dont notice any difference in flight so it acceptable. But the 900 Mhz Tx does not interfere with the video transmiter (Felsweb 500 Mhz Tx), I don't see any difference in the video tansmission. I fly up to half kilometer and everithing work well.

I write a little error, correction: 900 Mhz Tx does not interfere with my video transmiter (Felsweb 2.4 Ghz, 500mW)

Dennis,

Very good to see you back!! Do you still have your very informative website on the web?

Hans Delemarre, the Netherlands

Hi Hans, happy to talk with you again.

No my website as disappear from the internet, but I still have a copy on my computer, I will try to reborn it.

Edited by Vrflyer

Dennis,

That would be nice! I found your site the most informative when I first started with this part of the hobby. I refer to it on my site so it would be nice if you would be able to get it up and running again.

Hans Delemarre, the Netherlands

So you've got good things to say about the Seagull system.

Can anybody tell me about the Picolario in comparison?

Thanks, sarah

I broke the RPM sensor few weeks ago. The p/n on sensor is 6852, I found at Digikey p/n DN6852-A-ND, it a hall effect sensor, so I ordered one. It work well.

I presumed the temperature sensor was a thermistor, I measured near 10 Kohm, so I ordered 10K thermistor from digikey, p/n BC1482-ND, They are not phisically identical, but they indicate the same temp. on the seagull display. The Seagull have two temp. sensor input. I use the second to monitor video Tx temp. If the temp rise, it could indicate defect antenna or malfunction in the Tx I set an alarm on the Seagull display to advise me.

They are inexpensive, so it's easier to install one RPM and one Temp sensor per engine and leave them there.