Matt Chester

Mr. RC Cam, Please Double Check my work for me.

Mr. RC Cam,

Can you double check my work and make sure I am interpretting the schematics correctly and I have not done anything wrong.

Thanks,

Matt

DSCF0010.JPGDSCF0011.JPGDSCF0012.JPG

Edited by Matt Chester

It's not correct -- The pin ordering is mixed up (hint: Gnd and the Cap do not connect to PIC pin 5 as shown in the photo). The info you need is provided by the project's PIC pinout drawing.

Alright, gave it another shot. I was confused when I started flipping the PIC around and looking at the schematics versus the PIC illustration.

The second servo lead coming out is my jumpers for the Stand Alone and SeQ shot, the wire in the middle of the three is the ground, coming off the GND port of the PIC. To swap between the two I just sliide the pin over one slot and it connects the other wire to the ground. This should work right?

I have about 4 wires coming off that GND lead on the PIC is that O.k.?

Heres what I got now. Is this correct?

DSCF0014.JPGDSCF0015.JPGDSCF0016.JPG

Everything appears OK to me. Hacking the Sony camera is where the hard part starts. Pay attention to your fingers and tools -- the photo flash cap will bite hard, even after an overnight rest!

Mr. RC.

I finally found an eletronics shop that would solder the connections for me. He verified that the connecctions were made. I put the camera back together and it still took pictures on its on so that was good. But the Camman module doesnt seem to be working. I took the camera back apart to make sure that one of solder joints had not broke loose and everything appears to be fine.

Can you give me any suggestions on what to check or do to try and get this thing working?

Thanks,

Matt

Have you personally reviewed his work to confirm everything is wired correctly? If so, then time to troubleshoot. With everything connected, DVM ground on PIC ground, and power applied to everything:

What is the voltage on PIC pin 1? Is this voltage positive or negative?

What is the voltage on PIC pin 2?

What is the voltage on PIC pin 3?

When you depress for focus, what is the voltage on pin 2? Pin 3?

When you depress for shutter, what is the voltage on pin 2? Pin 3?

Have you personally reviewed his work to confirm everything is wired correctly? If so, then time to troubleshoot. With everything connected, DVM ground on PIC ground, and power applied to everything:

What is the voltage on PIC pin 1? Is this voltage positive or negative?

What is the voltage on PIC pin 2?

What is the voltage on PIC pin 3?

When you depress for focus, what is the voltage on pin 2? Pin 3?

When you depress for shutter, what is the voltage on pin 2? Pin 3?

What is the voltage on PIC pin 1? Is this voltage positive or negative? +2.78

What is the voltage on PIC pin 2? 2.74

What is the voltage on PIC pin 3? 2.78

When you depress for focus, what is the voltage on pin 2? Pin 3? -.01 , 2.77

When you depress for shutter, what is the voltage on pin 2? Pin 3? -.01, -.01

Thanks,

Matt

Looks reasonable so far.

If your Tx has EPA/ATV mix, then set it to +/-100% on the channel you use for the camera. If the channel has the Dual Rate feature, then disable it. If it is a Futaba Tx, then "reverse" the channel.

With the Tx stick at one extreme, what is the voltage at U1 pin 4.

With the stick at the opposite extreme, what is the voltage now?

Edited by Mr.RC-Cam

I have it on Channel 3, throttle, and made sure the EPA was 100% which it was, and then measured the voltages at pin4 on U1 after R1. The voltage with the throttle at the down position was .180+ and the voltage at the top was .288+.

If I have everything connected and leave it all on for a few minutes, every now and then I hear a beep, like your are focusing the camera.

If I turn the transmitter off for a few seconds and then turn it back on, I get a series of three beeps from the camera.

Before I did this, I removed the jumper wire for the seq, and stnd alone modes so that it would only work in RC mode.

From all that you have reported, the system should be working. The three beeps you hear, when the Tx is turned on (after being off for several seconds), indicates that the PIC has locked onto the Rx's servo signal. The beep you hear every 100 seconds indicate the PIC is keeping the camera awake. All the elements of a working system are there. It is odd you cannot snap a photo.

Try setting the throttle's EPA to +/-90. If that gets you nowhere, then set it to +/-110%. If that doesn't help either, then return to +/- 100%

Also, experiment with the camera installed on the rudder channel to see what happens (turn off dual rates and set the EPA to 110%).

Lastly, don't forget that before the shutter will operate, the system must be "armed" (per the instructions). This is important.

No R/C gear is needed for standalone operation. It has a powerup delay, then starts to snap every five seconds.

We have ignition!!!!! :D:D:D

The Stand Alone mode now works. I got some great photos with the camera already, using my MJF Fiberglass mast, The stand alone feathure is very nice for using the camera with my mast. Very simple, works great.

I'll post the pictures later this evening.

Now just to work out the RC side of the system.

Im just so happy that it is working, and I didnt blow anything up. Praise the Lord.

Sounds like it is just a Tx setup issue. Besides the other suggestions, verify that the stick's trim lever is centered.