Vrflyer

Do not fly with headset in Canadian r/c club

All the r/c club that I know are member of IMAC. If your club is member of IMAC, do you know that insurrance compagny of your club will not cover any dammaged if the planes is fly with telemetry system, including camera and headset or autopilot/GPS etc...

The planes must be fly using only your eyes. Buddy box are not accepted, the person who fly the planes must view it. System that help people to recover like Co-pilot are accepted (I think).

Even if you fly outside r/c club and your planes hit a car or house, normally your are cover if you have personnal inssurance, but if the cie discover you was using some exotic equipement, perhaps they will not want to pay. If something bad happens, it better to say the camera was in the planes only to record video, don't talk about headset, I think it's prefferable.

It sounds that IMAC just copied AMA rules which changed last year. Now AMA insurance will not cover accidents unless pilot has a direct eye contact with the model.

BTW, latest issue of AMA magazine has Dave Brown commentary on high alitude model flights. For a change, I've found this article very reasonable and honestly discussing rules/regulations and advisory on high altitude flying.

May I ask you about a short summary of the discussion? Although living far away from you all this could be good information, as here nobody even thinks about such possibilities... :unsure:

As a very brief summary:

DB said there are no rules regulating model flight yet, not untill you hit 18,000 ft limit and enter class A airspace. There is an FAA advisory not to exceed 400ft limit. But this is just an advisory and many model are in fact are flown above that. AMA will try to agree with FAA on some resonable flight altitude, say 1000ft. Meanwhile we have to be very careful about flying high as any incident may create over-reaction and unfavorable ruling.

Edited by cyber-flyer

sorry not able to delete

Edited by Vrflyer

Its the short sighted attitude (no pun intended) that forces people to act outside the rules. Why can they not just accept and include us with some sensable rules. At the end of the day our part of the hobby is growing and I am sure we would welcome some limitations if it would ensure we can continue safely. As it is I am in the UK but I feel we are all on the same side.

Terry

Good link but I think the restriction should be different for different weight of aircraft. Also altitude is not the only part of the flight that needs a restriction, range from operator is just as important. I also think aircraft with a fully automatic return to operator auto pilot should have greater freedom.

Terry