Sign in to follow this  
cyber-flyer

sony dsc-u20 camera in action

Finally I had a chance to test Sony's DSC-U20 2 mp camera. The camera has RC trigger described by Mr. RC-CAM on his web site. The trigger works great - it wakes up the camera if neccessary which is a big plus.

You can see some of the shots in this directory:

www.cyber-flyer.com/2003/1013_sony/

All the shots made from Taylor Craft while it was gliding down with engine shut off. The altitude varies from 300 to 2500 ft.

Regards,

Val.

Nice aerial photos! The last photo's altitude is inspiring. It's nice to see the fall colors too.

I really like where you fly. I've also seen some of your videos in the past as well.

I wonder what it would be like with the engine on. I don't have the luxury of that much open space where I fly.

Also I bought the camera last June and have been using it as a go everywhere camera since. I haven't even opened it up yet. How did the soldering go?

Val, did you use a video transmitter hooked to the video out of the camera like I and others have talked about or did you just shoot and hope??

Pictures look great, I flew into kentucky this past weekend on a commercial flight and the view was very much the same as your pictures. In moving down to florida that is one thing that I will miss are the fall colors.

Matt

KC9AXW

Thanks, the flying field is nice indeed especially this time of year. But I didn't know that it so much nicer from above. High resolution camera does make a difference compared to a video feed. The swamps and trees around the field look nice but make it very difficult to find a model if it's lost - I know that from my own experience :( .

The camera was simply triggered without looking into it. It doesn't have video output. I can however point the video camera that sits under the wing to look in the same direction as digital camera does and frame the shot if required.

Picture quality degrades to a much lower resolution if engine is running, so 'switching' into a dead stick mode is a requirement.

Regards,

Val.

Val, I will have to send you some pictures/post some pictures of my senior telemaster. It has the solution to your dead-stick problems.

I converted a Saito .72 four-stroke motor to gasoline last year with an igntion from CH Ignition. To top it off I purchased an on-board starter from Hobby-Lobby made by FEMA. It is an electric motor geared down a couple times that will start the motor from the gear channel. It's a real show stopper out at the airplane club to pull out of the pits and kill the motor and start it back up again. It restarts in mid-air without any problems.

The ignition also allows the motor to idle at probably 1/2 the # of RPMs compared to idling on glow fuel. I am still looking to get a new needle machined for the carburator as on gasoline the airplane uses 1/2 the amount of fuel and the needle is very very very sensitive.

Matt Klarich

AUAV

Ok, took some pictures of the front end of my senior telemaster. The electric starting motor would normally go inside the airplane but I needed room for the brass fuel tank that I made. This airplane was built for a "Last Man Down" competition. The person in the air longest wins. The fuel tank is a combo of .004"and .006" brass shim stock soldered together with silver solder and was made to fit from the back of the area underneath the wing to 2 inches from the firewall. The shim stock is thin enough you can tear it almost like paper (the .004), the .006 requires one pass with a good hobby knife.

Matt

post-5-1066525916_thumb.jpg

Another angle of the motor. That is an adjustable 1.20 size mount cut down enough to get the engine far enough out so all of the electric starter bits would fit as well.

Matt

post-5-1066526008_thumb.jpg

And a shot of the fuel tank, I never had any problems with radio interference although now that I am flying this airplane again on a non-PCM receiver I notice I cannot get to far away. During the competition I flew a PCM receiver, I just don't have any laying around right now.

Matt

post-5-1066526150_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the starter pics! It is a solution for aerial photography from gas powered engines. I just need to find a starter powerfull enough to turn 40 cc gas engine. Do you happen to know the biggest displacement engine that your starter can start? How much current does it draw during start?

Regards,

Val.

Val, I went to www.hobby-lobby.com and did a search for FEMA. The list for starters goes as such:

HLFE00 FEMA ONBOARD STARTER FOR 60-80 RC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HLFE05 FEMA ONBOARD STARTER FOR 40-50 RC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HLFE12 FEMA ONBOARD STARTER FOR 90-120 RC

HLFE13A FEMA ONBOARD STARTER FOR ST2000-3000

HLFE18 FEMA ONBOARD STARTER FOR OS FT120-160

HLFE20 FEMA ONBOARD STARTER FOR ZENOAH G-38

HLFE215 FEMA ONBOARD STARTER FOR QUADRA 52S

HLFE24 FEMA ONBOARD STARTER FOR ZENOAH G-62

HLFE25 FEMA ONBOARD STARTER FOR ZENOAH G-45

HLFE9710 FEMA KOMPAKT-SET FOR OS-MAX FT-120/160

HLFE9711 FEMA KOMPAKT-SET FOR OS-MAX FF-320 PEGASUS

HLFE9712 FEMA KOMPAKT-SET FOR OS-MAX FT-240-300

HLFE9713 FEMA KOMPAKT-SET FOR ZENOAH 23 SL

As you can see they have a wide variety of options and sizes, does the BME 44 you list on your site have a shaft out the back?? That would make life simple.

Matt

Matt

Cyberflyer-

For what it is worth, Fuji Engines make a commercial on-board electric starter system for their gasoline engines. Tower Hobbies sells it for +$300. Might be useful for benchmarking some technical specs. Just a thought.

I didn't imagine hobby-lobby will have starter powerfull enough to crank BME 44, but it seems that HLFE25 (for Zenoah G-45) may do the work. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Val.