Vrflyer

camera movement follow headset movement

This is not the first time this question is ask, but I read everithing about it on this forum,and I see very few people who find a solution. I really need to be able to control left/right movement of the cam. If I found nothing better, I will try with two photodiodes on the headset and an infrared led on the r/c tx. when I will look in front, the two photodiode will not be illuminated the servo is center, when I will turn my head one photodiode will received light and act like a switch, the cam will turn 90 deg.

I will unplug a potentiometer in my r/c tx and connect my setup directly there. I need around 1.5v when one photodiode receive light, 2.5v when no photodiode receive light (servo center) and around 3.5v when the other photodiode receive light. I think I'm able to do it.

But it's not proportionnal, I'm sure someone know a better solution.

P.s. I prefer a solution without micrcontroller, but if neccessary I will learn how to use it.

Edited by Vrflyer

Thats on my list of things to get done before the end of this year. It will have a microcontroller in it but I will sell the unit ready to go for the hobbyist market. I have to many other things going right now to even think about starting on that project unfortunately.

Matt Klarich

www.klarichelectronics.com

Someone had posted the details to an IR system they built (probably on the old MSN based rc-cam forum). It was proportional and involved mounting the IR components on their R/C Tx and on a hat/headband.

The IR method sounds like an easy implementation. Keep in mind that the IR emitters should be modulated (several Khz) so that the effects of sunlight can be partially masked out on the decoder side.

"Someone had posted the details to an IR system they built (probably on the old MSN based rc-cam forum)"

it was Temporary insanity, I remember a topic about it on the old forum, he found a simple solution with IR transmitter and he talk again about it on this new forum, and it's still working ;) I send him an e-mail and wait for answer.

About it, is it possible to access the topic on the old forum MSN ?

" It will have a microcontroller in it but I will sell the unit ready to go for the hobbyist market."

So the unit must be easy to plug to r/c Tx, I presume you will use the trainer cable connector, it probably for this you need a microcontroller.

Denis

Well...I am still active on this forum, so perhaps my insanity is not so temporary!

Yes, I did an IR solution. It did not require a PIC being that it was all analog including the output to the transmitter. The design was based on a pulsing IR transmitter that was hacked into my video goggles and 2 photodiodes spaced out about 18 inches and mounted on the transmitter. The receiver amplified both received AC signals which were then summed and amplified some more. The receiver suppressed sunlight ver well. The transmitter interface consisted of hacking my transmitter aux channel and bringing out the control wire along with the regulated 5V to run the receiver. An output signal varying from 0 to 5V was fed to into the transmitter aux channel, which resulted in the servo movement. It all worked, was preliminarily packaged, but I dropped it at that point. I guess I was satisfied that it worked and moved on to more exciting things with hopefully more commercial application. I could make the circuit available if you want. It might require just a bit more development, but nothing too difficult. By the way, during development, I mounted a camera on a servo and found that it was an easy mental adjustment to move my head relative to my body and have the view in my goggles move in response.

T.I.

" I guess I was satisfied that it worked and moved on to more exciting things with hopefully more commercial application."

Yes, you will be lucky to find 10 people to buy it now, but one day, it will become popular, it depend on AMA and IMAC.

" I could make the circuit available if you want. It might require just a bit more development, but nothing too difficult."

That's will be cool, I just need the drawing with ic p/n and components value and also p/n of photodiode. I will order my part from Digikey.

I will mount the circuit on breadboard first and made the neccessary test and adjustement, I will share my result with the forum

The camera will at the pilot seat, what more natural way of flying, I'm ready to try it, I think it will not be too hard to fly like this, it depend on the quality of the setup.

Edited by Vrflyer

I forgot to change my e-mail address, if you have send the files, you have send it at my old e-mail address.

I edited my profile, I changed my e-mail address.

So if you have already send the files, can you send it again

Denis

take your time ,I need it for a new plane (Corsair f4u), but I'm not ready, I stilll have many thing to do.

My Corsair is ready for first flight. I made ground test today, and everything work very well.

I have a 80 deg cam in the wing for take-off/landing, and a 105 deg cockpit cam mounted on servo for flight. For now, I will use a slider pot on my remote (Futaba 9CAP) to control movement of the cam. Check the attached pictures.

The motor is O.S. 0.91FS, it have retract landing gear with a light on the dashboard to indicate when the gear are up/down and lock. I also have navigation light and Seagull telemetry onboard.

I want to control the cockpit cam from the movement of the head. In flight, I will be able to toggle between wing cam and cocpit cam, so if something is not perfct with the IR sensing system, I will be able to use the wing cam and fly normaly.

I found a lot of information about your IR sensing system on the old forum, many photos, I will use a hand-made method for the pcb that give me a result close to you, but need very little equipment.

What I need is only the schematic with the value of resistor, capacitor etc, and p/n of IC. I will first experiment on breadboard and find the good solution for me. So I will wait for you. Thanks

Denis Gratton

Montréal, Canada.

post-6-1125356172_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vrflyer

EDIT OCTOBER 2006

The Gyro was just a hobby project for me at first, the deal was for me to send a sample to Kilrah, and he will try to make it work. If he succeed, he should tell the magic formula to be able on my side with a second sample to make my own. Finally Kilrah send me a complet gyro ready to plug with the instruction :)

This gyro allow me to finally be able to realize my dream to pilot planes from the cockpit view with the headgyro for total liberty. What was not expected it's the success I get on the web and the TV news, evidently. I'm very thankfull to Kilrah to give me this oportunity.

Now Kilrah have some chance to make money with his Gyro and ask me to remove my info put on this link compromiting chance for him and his friends to get this money. They are my friends, and I will help them by erasing all the info.

Others members have already begin to design new version for hobbyist who want to make it themself, and it's ok for me, but for most of us like me, we will prefer a ready to use gyro. I encourage people to find better way to do it, I want to see my way of flying done by other, but I want also to help my friend.

Edited by Vrflyer

And even cheaper is to remove the sensor from the mouse and be refund at the store :)

Hahahaha :lol::lol::D:D:PB):rolleyes:

Well, I wouldn't even have thought about this :lol:

Wow, that will be some job for you! ;)

I know a source for a good tutorial (actually very detailed guide) about PICs, but in French. As you're in Montreal this might be OK for you, am I wrong?