camera movement follow headset movement

Yes that's what I had in mind. I'll need it on my moviestar, and was supposed to have an event where it would have been useful last week, but that's luckily been postponed for a bit later, it was really too short. So I finished the head tracker instead :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, there are exactly the same available connections, the only difference is the plug.

It's supposed to be compatible with all transmitters that have a PPM input and let the master choose which channels are controlled by the student. Some brands only use jacks with signal and ground, so there a separate battery will be needed with some wiring to be done by the end-user.

I'm still waiting to get my hand on some Graupner/Multiplex TX's to check everything is OK. The prob is that we all use Futaba in the group I usually fly with...

Anyway for now it's plug-and play for Futaba FF7 and above, including the older 9Z and FF8 Super.

As I said earlier, for the models that don't allow the trainer switch to be selected and always use the spring-loaded one it might be good either to use some tape to hold the switch on, or to physically replace that switch with a 2-position one for convenience.

Edited by Kilrah

I received the Gyrocontrol this week. At first look, the instruction for programmation look not easy, but the instruction was clear and I found easy to program different channel and different sensitivity. At power up, the Gyro must stay on table without any vibration for few seconds until the led stop blanking, The gyro is ready.

I begin with my r/c car until I`m use to control the cam with my head. Only half hour was necessary and I feel confortable.

The movement of the cam is very smooth, I was expecting see the cam move by little step, but it`s not, the movement is very linear. If I turn my head fast, the cam movement follow my head without problem.

The trainer switch is momentary on my transmitter, I replaced it with a normal switch. I can desactivate the Gyro any time, just by toggle this switch, the cam come at the center.

The Gyro drift in the two axes, and it`s not always the same. At power up, I check the speed of the drift by watching the cam movement when the headset is still on the table, if it`s too fast, I power up again until the drift is slow. When in normal use, like on my car, I recenter the cam at two minute interval. I center my head and push briefly the pushbutton that come with the Gyro and the cam recenter immediately. Overall the Gyro is well designed. Congratulation to Kilrah, he done a very good job. I`m very satisfy 

Edited by Vrflyer
Any pricing yet?

After long and difficult discussions, yes :unsure:

Okay, list price is set fairly high, that is $420, as quite a few companies have shown their interest.

However we're wanting to offer it at an affordable price to all serious hobbyists that have been contributing to anything related to improvements in FPV flying or have shown interest and followed the development - which includes quite a few people among the "old ones" on here ;)

So, we are offering a 40% discount to all RC-Cam members who have registered before this announcement, for 2 weeks on (until July 3rd). That is, $250 + shipping.

There's another option, that is a set of 640x480 video goggles (the ones mentioned here , with integrated sensor, at $670 instead of the $800 list price.

The 180° servo module is available at $20.

Please e-mail me using the forum button if interested :)

Edited by Kilrah

Hi Kilrah,

I've been watching this thread with some serious interest. As you might remember, I did some early work on head tracking and Vrflyer almost built one using my technique. I see that drift is an error that still creeps in with time. That is to be expected with a gyro. What I'm wondering is if the effects of drift can't be reduced or overcome by slowly, very slowly, adjusting the long-term average servo pulse width toward "zero" (1.5ms) regardless of the signal from the gyro. This works assuming that for the most part, the user's head angle will average at or near center. If not, the remnant error will likely come out to be small and the user will likely adjust his head to compensate without even being aware. The only time a gross error would occur in this sort of system is if the user keeps looking off to the same side for a very long time. What do you think?

T.I.

Yes of course I remember. The IR solution also interested me, what stopped me was the need for a fixed reference. I'd like to be able to pass the headset on to someone else, as obviously I do attract some interest when flying FPV ;)

Edited by Kilrah

Why not threshold detect the drift? That is to say, after a successful calibration, very slow signal changes, that are biased in one direction, would be ignored. Sort of a instantaneous "zeroing" could be performed.

I had suggested the very slow correction because years ago, I used this idea to continuously auto-zero something entirely different than this application. While it did have some errors due to non-zero averaging--quite similar to what someone's head might do, it did a reasonable job and while it rarely got a perfect null, it never got too far off the mark either.

Now that's a good idea :)

Just make sure that the zeroing signal doesn't stay active for more than 1 second if you stay centered to avoid a full reset.

Edited by Kilrah

If JR is compatible with Graupner (should be the case as JR are the manufacturers if I'm not mistaken), then yes, it works without modification. Is the trainer plug a 3.5mm stereo jack?

The only thing is that the sensor requires an external battery as there is no power connection in the plug.

Twinturbostang, look out for the offer in the post above. That was directed to you as well!

Edited by Kilrah

Vrflyer. You're the only guy here that has one on his RC car. Could you try hooking the system to your steering servo? I'd like to see you steer it by looking right and left! Perhaps a brave soul would like to try to fly a plane with one on R/E. :D

Edited by Temporary Insanity

No problem then ;)

I prefer keeping my gear in perfect condition, sells better when it's time to change :P

Haha, a friend of mine wanted to try that too... might have a go once :lol:

Actually my foamy will be off to the bin by the end of the week anyways... time to try? :P

Twinturbostang, look out for the offer in the post above. That was directed to you as well!

Yes, I saw that. Unfortunately, that is still quite a bit of money. And I am not prepared to purchase something that expensive within the next two weeks. If it were $100-$150 however, I'd be on your list right NOW. :)

Vrflyer. You're the only guy here that has one on his RC car. Could you try hooking the system to your steering servo? I'd like to see you steer it by looking right and left! Perhaps a brave soul would like to try to fly a plane with one on R/E. :D

Me too I have this idea in mind :)

It will be so great, I will try the soon I can do. Tomorow the weather will perhaps permit to try my Easystar, but if not, I will put back the cam/ servo on my car and made a video to show the result.

If th weather is really too bad, I will work on the automatic centering with Ir emiter.