Sign in to follow this  
shedao

Aerobatic AUAV?

I'm curious, have any of you have contemplated making a Autonomous UAV that was aerobatic capable? I have been contemplating it some and at first I thought it may be impossible. But after a little research I did manage to find a group that has already done it using a helicopter at MIT:

http://gewurtz.mit.edu/research/heli.htm

My own plan is to first just capture the telemetry data using a few sensors connected to a cpu stick (Ublox GPS + Microstrain 3DM IMU + Gumstix) and then go from there. I haven't decided how to capture servo position just yet, along with a lot of other decisions. But what I want to see from this data is exactly how the airframe is behaving and it's state for later analysis and then I'll go from there. I'd like to pull this data into a 3d flight modeling program similiar to what Curtis Olson and UM did with their UAV project:

http://www.flightgear.org/~curt/Models/Spe...cial/Rascal110/

I figure this will be the first step down a long but interesting road.

So I'm curious, have any of you pondered this idea? I know it's not very useful, beyond maybe making a person smile. But hey, it would be very interesting.

shedao

In my early days of UAV work I have had a few of my UAV's do some aerobatics, of course it was unintentional but they did some very interesting aerobatics none the less.

If you go to my web site at http://www.auav.net/ and look at the video of the The Newest Twin Boom Pusher from AUAV (click on the photo) you can see it doing some mild aerobatics, I was hand flying it at the time but I can't see any reason that it would not be possible to design a preprogrammed aerobatics routine.

All it takes is the time and the will to do it and the most important parts is $$$$$.

Dave Jones

AUAV.net

Edited by Dave Jones

Dave,

Nice video, nice UAVs!

All it takes is the time and the will to do it and the most important parts is $$$$$.

Defintely. This can be quite expensive I'm finding.

I'll be honest though, I do have an ulterior motive. I see UAVs and robotics in general as a great way to take my programming skill into an interesting field. I've been programming for about 10 years professionally and I'm getting tired of creating the same old 'business applications' over and over. So I figure if I can build a few of my own UAVs I could probably swing a job with a UAV builder like Aerovironment or similiar.

It's good to know others are out there building UAVs, maybe bounce some ideas off you guys from time to time.

- Ian S