Sign in to follow this  
Terry

scc15a to pic interface

Has anyone got any tips for the best way to go about interfacing a scc15a pressure transducer to a PIC ? Will the 8 bit ADC have high enough res to make a sucessfull altitude hold ?

Thanks, Terry

You'll need to add an instrumentation amp (I believe the gain should be about 50). Plan on using a 12-bit A/D for decent resolution.

Thanks for that, that backs up what most circuits have got for using this sensor. I was just wondering if I could increase the gain of the amp and feed the pics adc directly for this application. I dont need great res for a full blown altimeter, just enough for an altitude hold to work ok. My main worry is that I will run off the ends of my range if I use too much gain, what do you think ?

Terry

You can use instrument amp gain to achieve more resolution, but with less range. You will need an amp offset adjustment. However, I would suggest you use a A/D that has at least 10-bits (not hard to find on a modern microcontroller).

I just had a look to see what is out there and the 16F819 looks good to me, what do you think ? Im way out of date, still using 16c54 and 16c71 !

Terry

Just about every PIC introduced in the last three or so years, that has A/D, has 10-bit resolution. The PIC16F819 is one of the many. That chip is light years ahead of what you have been using. :)